• Long Beach via Montauk Branch betweeen VALLEY and Jamaica

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by dlandw

In the mid 1980s, I occasionally rode the one weekday peak outbond to Long Beach that stopped at St. Albans. Since the current West Hempstead Branch timetable no longer shows any 800 series trains stopping at St. Albans, I presume that no Long Beach trains do so at present.

However, there were occasionally other Long Beach trains that would run via the Montauk Branch without stopping at St. Albans (i.e., the "unusual" routing did not appear in the public timetables). Intuitively, trains that did not make a station stop at Valley Stream seemed more likely to do so, but not always. I can remember a few times when a westbound train departing the platform at Valley Stream unexpectedly lurched its way over to the northernmost (westbound) Montauk Branch track.

So, does anyone have a current ETT that shows regularly scheduled Long Beach trains operating via the Montauk? Or, are "dispatcher's discretion" re-routes the only ones remaining?

-Al "dlandw"
  by SwingMan

There is no denotation of which routing each train will take, as it can vary depending on circumstances.

One example of a unique routing is train 1056. I takes the scenic route of M.L. 1 from Harold to Jay, through track 4 in Jamaica, and on to the Atlantic Branch to Valley, where it crosses over to Montauk 2. They do this mainly because 150 stops at St. Albans and 1056 usually shoots through Jamaica at about the same time 150 is leaving. So there are unique routes out there.
  by flexliner

I too remember many a Lb train that stopped at St Albans and even (rip) Springfield Gardens. Then shimmied over to one of the 2 platform tracks at Valley Stream. Seems Far Rocks ran on the Atlantic. Guess it happens less these days.
Conversely are there any Babylon trains that stop at VS or run on the Atlantic.?
  by RestrictOnTheHanger

I think there are a couple of other Babylon trains that do. An early morning eastbound and 4am or something westbound.