• Promotional on Train Track 18/19 on a Saturday Night.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RandomRailfan

I commute and work for a company trying to advertise various products to the 18-34 demographic.

What would the logistics of bringing on a "promotional train," on a Friday Night/Saturday Morning or Saturday night/Sunday Morning to run on track 18 or 19 parallel to a train going to Port Washington that starts boarding at 1:06 AM or 2:54 AM? Is there any way that one of those trains could be called onto track 18 or 19 ten minutes ahead of schedule,at 12:56 AM, or 2:44 AM let the passengers go down to the track, and surprise them with a promotional train on the opposite track from where they are expecting their train with live entertainment and giving out free items?
  by MACTRAXX

RR:

What you need to do is contact LIRR Public Affairs in Jamaica during business hours on weekdays instead of posting this here
at what is basically a rail enthusiast forum - in any case I will note these potential problems:

First - the platform on Tracks 18-19 is by far the widest in NYPS and what can happen is passengers confusing a special or
promotional train for the actual Port Washington Branch train and if riders were to miss their train because of this it could
lead to at minimum complaints...

Second - and perhaps most important - the average LIRR rider at that hour on Friday or Saturday night is either going to be
tired or intoxicated (or both) and would not be in any reasonable shape or form to take part in a promotion such as this...

Depending on what this promotion entails a evening time slot may be preferable to the overnight period...

Keep us posted on how LIRR Public Affairs reacts to and/or handles this promotion idea...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by RandomRailfan

What you need to do is contact LIRR Public Affairs in Jamaica during business hours on weekdays instead of posting this here
at what is basically a rail enthusiast forum - in any case I will note these potential problems:
Before I contacted public affairs, I wanted to run the logistics before some rail enthusiasts.
First - the platform on Tracks 18-19 is by far the widest in NYPS and what can happen is passengers confusing a special or
promotional train for the actual Port Washington Branch train and if riders were to miss their train because of this it could
lead to at minimum complaints...
The promotional train would might be all rented from some other company and decorated in such a way that it could not possibly be mistaken for an LIRR train.
Second - and perhaps most important - the average LIRR rider at that hour on Friday or Saturday night is either going to be
tired or intoxicated (or both) and would not be in any reasonable shape or form to take part in a promotion such as this...
Could this be done at an earlier hour. I was thinking this hour because there aren't as many trains at Penn Station, where taking up a track would not be as big of a deal. Also the promotion may be for an energy drink, or alcohol brand where that is a consideration.
  by Slippy

You could do one better if you are willing to broaden your audience beyond just Port Wash people.

With the summer months coming up, why not have a promotional train in the siding at Hampton Bays blaring Cotton Eye'd Joe or the Macarena as people from the Boardy Barn are waiting for 8717? You could give out Glow jewelry just like the DJ does at block parties. There is a decent amount of station dwell time while people are boarding 8717 and it's usually never onetime. I think this idea would be a great welcome to take the edge off after an entire weekend of spending mom and dad's money for the college kids.