• 2014-2015 Train Show season

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by umtrr-author

umtrr-author wrote: The Webster Association of Senior Program Supporters (WASPS) has announced its 3rd annual model train show to be held at the Webster Community Center, 1350 Chiyoda Drive, Webster 14580, on Saturday, March 21st, 10:00am to 5:00pm and Sunday, March 22nd, 12:00 noon to 4:00pm.
Which turned out to be a modest sized room-- I'm not good at guessing dimensions- which was dominated by the FCTT Hi-Rail modular display, 3-rail O Scale/Gauge. Also on display were portable N and Z Scale layouts and a second O Gauge layout (if I recall the gauge correctly).

There were only three vendors: one with mostly used O Scale, one with mostly new O Scale, and one with mostly Hot Wheels.

The people I talked to said that the show was not being well publicized, but attendance at the time I visited (10:30AM) was brisk. It was a nice low-key "show and tell" type display, for a good cause.
  by lvrr325

One more reminder that tomorrow, March 29th is the GSME Great Batavia Train Show at the Clarion Hotel. This was a pretty good show for me last spring, hopefully it is this year too.
  by lvrr325

Show was busy until noon, then died. Weather looked too nice, I think, although it was really too windy to want to be outside long.

But I picked up a fairly rare piece for cheap and there were a lot of good deals to be had.
  by nydepot

I picked up a bunch of P2K drop end gons, unassembled for $5 each!
  by lvrr325

Nobody wants to assemble them, is why.
  by lvrr325

Amsterdam show at the Riverfront Center is this Sunday, 10-4. So far the weather forecast is for it to be nice, so I expect it to be busy the first couple hours or so and then die.

Well, at least the drive down 5S will be nice and I have a place to eat.

Bowser second run C430s are out, I don't know if I should get any to bring in or not.

Vendors, don't forget to bring your own chairs.
  by Alcoman

lvrr325 wrote:Amsterdam show at the Riverfront Center is this Sunday, 10-4. So far the weather forecast is for it to be nice, so I expect it to be busy the first couple hours or so and then die.

Vendors, don't forget to bring your own chairs.
Or sit on the filthy floor. Who ever heard of a train show that requires you to bring your own chairs ? Crazy ? I could understand this if it was outside like they have a Cohoes. How about the tables? Bring your own ? Food? Bring your own ?
  by lvrr325

All I can figure is it has something to do with where ever they rented tables from, it is kind of wierd, but I do swap meets all summer, so it's just a matter of digging the folding chair out of the storage unit. I just posted it here because it's unusual.

Heck if it saved me a few bucks it wouldn't bother me to bring my own table, I have plenty of those too.

Some guys do bring their own food; I bring my own drinks.
  by traingeek8223

There are two food vendors at the Mall to choose from, one pizza/pasta one Chinese. Chair rental became an issue when we couldn't get one rental place to provide both tables and chairs. No one needs to bring their own table. Kingston does not provide chairs so we didn't think it was that odd. We have 25 folding chairs that belong to AHTS we will be bringing, but that is not enough for all vendors. John: the floor is not dirty and no one is expected to sit there. I once again thank you for your positive comments in regards to the ALCO Historical & Technical Society.
  by Alcoman

You are quite welcome Matt....anytime.
  by lvrr325

Actually, it is kind of odd to not provide chairs, I can't think of a single train show I've done that doesn't. Kingston is too far for me to go.

But you can't help what the rental places are willing to do, it's really weird none could give you both tables and chairs. I'd rather bring my own and save a few bucks on the table price than complain about it and you have to charge me $5 or $10 more next time.

I spend about 75% of the time on my feet anyhow, if it's slow I walk around just to keep myself awake.
  by Alcoman

I have run train shows and participated in them (Greenwich, Ct,Clark, NJ, Poughkeepsie, NY to name a few) and never had to bring my own chairs. BTW, Kingston does provide chairs according to my sources who just took part in that show.
I would never have a train show in a closed (abandoned) dirty mall in the first place...too many problems. There are plenty of other places such as a firehouse, schools,etc to have train show in ( a bit smaller perhaps) but for the first one, less of a risk and yes many if not all those places provide tables & chairs plus a kitchen for a refreshment stand.
  by traingeek8223

The River Front Center is not closed, abandoned or dirty. It has offices and business in it and is open on a daily basis. It is not what it once was but it is maintained and far from derilect. John please check your facts before you type. I do the Kingston show twice a year and they DO NOT provide chairs (it says in their welcome letter to bring your own). I am sorry that it seems weird. If the show is a success and we do it again next year maybe we be able to have a better solution. lvrr325: thank you for being understanding. Interest has been good already and three local newspaper adds will be running today. It should be a good show.
  by Alcoman

According to the Malls website, it has been closed for quite a while, however if it is open as offices as you say, fine. Kingston does indeed provide chairs according to people i know that are dealers there so it appears that you are misinformed. Still I never heard of such an odd arrangement in the first place.
  by traingeek8223

For all those that actually care: The Amsterdam show is shaping up to be a good one. There have been 65 vendor tables sold, plus another 10 exhibitors. The weather is looking good (almost too good) so when you are done at the show it will be a pleasant day to take in the "railfan bridge" as it has been dubbed, directly connected to the River Front Center's parking garage. CSX has been putting on quite a show lately with visiting power. Show hours are 10-4 and admission is only $5. I look forward to seeing some of you there.