• CSX Eastside Yard (Philadelphia) Recently Expanded?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by ekt8750

Was driving home from work tonight and hopped over the Passyunk Av Bridge. I took a glance over in the direction of Eastside Yard noticed a large collection of oil tank cars and at first I thought they were just lined up on the Grays Ferry Connecting Track to South Philly Yard but then I noticed these tankers were about 5 tracks deep and snaked around along the river bank til back where I thought the yard ended were a few BNSF locos. I guess with all the traffic the refineries are getting these days CSX felt the need to to expand the yard.
  by bluedash2

ekt8750 wrote:Was driving home from work tonight and hopped over the Passyunk Av Bridge. I took a glance over in the direction of Eastside Yard noticed a large collection of oil tank cars and at first I thought they were just lined up on the Grays Ferry Connecting Track to South Philly Yard but then I noticed these tankers were about 5 tracks deep and snaked around along the river bank til back where I thought the yard ended were a few BNSF locos. I guess with all the traffic the refineries are getting these days CSX felt the need to to expand the yard.
The oil trains terminate there. They get up to four trains a day..
  by bluedash2

ekt8750 wrote:Was driving home from work tonight and hopped over the Passyunk Av Bridge. I took a glance over in the direction of Eastside Yard noticed a large collection of oil tank cars and at first I thought they were just lined up on the Grays Ferry Connecting Track to South Philly Yard but then I noticed these tankers were about 5 tracks deep and snaked around along the river bank til back where I thought the yard ended were a few BNSF locos. I guess with all the traffic the refineries are getting these days CSX felt the need to to expand the yard.
I don't think the yard was expanded but the facility for oil is right next to the yard....
  by mmi16

CSX facilities at Eastside Yard have no geographical room to expand. The Oil business has it's unloading facility in part of the yard and is handling up to 4 100 car trains in and out per day, which means there are a whole lot of tank cars around CSX facilities in Philadelphia - both loaded and empty.