• West side of Newark Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by SecaucusJunction

Suffern yard is filled with them but I'm not sure if they're headed in or out
  by milkshayke5o8

Are there still NS locals going through Clifton Mt Prospect Ave / Colfax?
  by bk77

Interesting news... had a union meeting tonight in Kearny and decided to take the "scenic way" home by checking out the southern (railroad east) end of the branch as I haven't done that in a while. There is a new sign up at the old Innovation Fuels property that reads "The future home of FAST OIL - Oil & Water Recycling." Not getting excited as I am a "don't believe it 'til you see it" kinda guy, but it will be something to keep an eye on. Perhaps there is some potential for rail service returning to the far end of the branch...
  by SemperFidelis

Foaming Fantasy and nothing more follows. Just some silly musings on a Friday night.

So perhaps this facility will be a brine water (waste from hydraulic fracturing) recycling center. NS will collect this water, which could probably fill a few unit trains a week, from across Ohio and Pennsylvania and run them down the Southern Tier from Binghamton eastward. Heck, maybe they'll reopen NX and relay the track on the east side of the bridge.

Realistically, off of the silly musings, brine water recycling and disposal is in need of added capacity and hundreds of municipalities, cities, counties, townships, unincorporated hamlets, trailer parks, etc. would simply love to have the thousands of truckloads of this material transported weekly off of our already decayed roads and bridges and into the rails.

Hope the recycling center turns into something. Be nice to see all the money dumped into that line actually produce some movement.
  by SecaucusJunction

Well now we're talking!
  by SemperFidelis

Bad, SecaucusJunction, bad! (hits SecaucusJunction on the nose with a rolled up Trains Magazine)

No railfan opinions allowed here! Only the omniscient ramblings of those above our station (pun intended) in life: the few, the proud, the ones who work for railroads.

G-d I hope the Marines forgive me that paraphrasing...

No offense intended to anyone aboard the forum, no matter thier choice of career or hobby. Just poking some fun.

Best wishes to all and let's keep our fingers crossed for more traffic.
  by Steve F45

SemperFidelis wrote:Foaming Fantasy and nothing more follows. Just some silly musings on a Friday night.

So perhaps this facility will be a brine water (waste from hydraulic fracturing) recycling center. NS will collect this water, which could probably fill a few unit trains a week, from across Ohio and Pennsylvania and run them down the Southern Tier from Binghamton eastward. Heck, maybe they'll reopen NX and relay the track on the east side of the bridge.

Realistically, off of the silly musings, brine water recycling and disposal is in need of added capacity and hundreds of municipalities, cities, counties, townships, unincorporated hamlets, trailer parks, etc. would simply love to have the thousands of truckloads of this material transported weekly off of our already decayed roads and bridges and into the rails.

Hope the recycling center turns into something. Be nice to see all the money dumped into that line actually produce some movement.
Could only imagine the looks on peoples faces if they saw unit trains of tankcars rolling through that area.
  by kamerad47

Train ran last night (friday) around 3am pick up the spine cars & dropped off some more!!! NS were on the line with a couple of Hi rails during the week in Nutley , I looked to see what they did , put some stone around the switch stands & oil up the switches !!!
  by rev66vette

At 10:15 AM , the train from last night is again sitting just east of the Mount Prospect Avenue crossing in Clifton...new crew on board, engines 5617,5612,and 5610 idling away, with 4 covered hoppers on the head end and about 10 flats with dirt loads.
  by bk77

SemperFidelis wrote: So perhaps this facility will be a brine water (waste from hydraulic fracturing) recycling center. NS will collect this water, which could probably fill a few unit trains a week, from across Ohio and Pennsylvania and run them down the Southern Tier from Binghamton eastward. Heck, maybe they'll reopen NX and relay the track on the east side of the bridge.
Hmmm, this would also allow an alternative route for all that intermodal traffic that will be coming east of Binghamton to enter Croxton... I like the way you think! Get ready for welded rail and CTC on the branch. LOL.

On a serious note, should that facility reopen and not follow the same brief existence as Innovation, the car volume probably wouldn't be anything huge. Other oil recycling companies in the area, like the one on the NYSW in Ridgefield Park, load maybe a half dozen tank cars a week (although they don't have the big storage tanks that the facility in Newark does).

Regardless, I hope it turns into something that breaths some life back into to the branch.
  by Steve F45

Where does that oil recycler in ridgefield park load tank cars? They do not have any siding for them. And those tanks cars further north are for the candle company and are full of wax.
  by bk77

They share the same siding as the candle company. The oil recycling company is called Grease Lightening, they're in that white "tent" at the end of the siding where their trucks unload the waste oil and eventually into the tank cars.
  by kamerad47

Here are 5617 , 5612, & 5610 parked near Mt propect Ave in Clifton waiting to re crew, 4 covered hoppers & 8 spine cars!!!!
  by ccutler

thanks for posting pics!
  by milkshayke5o8

kamerad, you're the real MVP :-D