• Type 7 Overhaul Program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ck4049

Read my post a little more carefully. I said they are pulling ACTIVE cars out of service now. The 3610, 3617, 3622, 3625, 3639, 3644, 3677 & 3690 all came directly off the rails from being in service and went to Alstom in one piece.
  by Finch

ck4049 wrote:Read my post a little more carefully. I said they are pulling ACTIVE cars out of service now. The 3610, 3617, 3622, 3625, 3639, 3644, 3677 & 3690 all came directly off the rails from being in service and went to Alstom in one piece.
I did read your post carefully. I said they're not ALL good cars that have been shipped to Alstom. In other words, some of them were not active. But yes, the ones you listed were indeed active. I'm not really up on the roster, but I think they've just about run out of inactive cars to ship (unless the GL crashes another one, which has already happened once or twice within the duration of this project so far).
  by MBTA1070

I'm surprised that 3615 came back before 3625. 3625 was the second car to be shipped.
  by MBTA1070

ck4049 wrote:They're literally pulling active cars out of service and sending them to Alstom. I'm surprised they aren't sending ones out that are already out of service for slewing bearing issues, missing parts, draft gear, etc:
I completely agree. Send the ones out of service first, instead of just pulling the active ones out of service..
  by Finch

MBTA1070 wrote:
ck4049 wrote:They're literally pulling active cars out of service and sending them to Alstom. I'm surprised they aren't sending ones out that are already out of service for slewing bearing issues, missing parts, draft gear, etc:
I completely agree. Send the ones out of service first, instead of just pulling the active ones out of service..
They had to send at least a few running cars to Alstom so they could get a good baseline for what to expect with the rest of the fleet. You can't plan an overhaul program based on picked-over yardbirds, or cars with major unresolved structural or other issues.

Once they satisfied that requirement, they made a point of shipping several out-of-service cars as well.
  by MBTA1070

Finch wrote:
MBTA1070 wrote:
They had to send at least a few running cars to Alstom so they could get a good baseline for what to expect with the rest of the fleet. You can't plan an overhaul program based on picked-over yardbirds, or cars with major unresolved structural or other issues.

Once they satisfied that requirement, they made a point of shipping several out-of-service cars as well.
Good point, didn't think of that.
  by ck4049

A MassDOT article says they will probably see service sometime next month.
  by ck4049

The 3614 was out on a test run last night. I saw it at Park Street at about 9:30PM after coming in from Riverside and snapped a few photos of it.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I too saw them out yesterday. They blew past me at Copley. I only had a few seconds to grab my phone and take a vid.

Click the picture for the video to load.

by MBTA1070

Very nice! Really hope to see some in service soon :-D
  by ck4049

They probably will be by the middle of April if all goes well. They need about 500 miles of testing before going into service.
  by FP10

It pains me to think they will soon be lashed up to a Type 8. They look great, but I'm still saddened the T didn't consider getting low floor inserts for them from Kinki like DART did.

Either way though, they look fantastic.
  by PublicTransitUSA

There is a problem with the dynamic roof resisters. So it may or may not be the middle of April.
  by jmac42887

Saw 3614 out and about last night at Lechmere. It was leading a Type 8. 3614 was not taking passengers but the type 8 was in service.