• Long Island RailRoad Storage Yard

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by schmidy

I saw that a Yardmaster Trinee job was posted and I was wondering how many storage yards the LIRR has and where they are?
  by NYCrails

Babylon
Ronkonkoma
PSCC
Westside
Hillside
LIC
Jamaica Yard
Atlantic Terminal
Yardmasters are posted at these locations.
  by onorclose7

Yardmasters also work in the Equipment Coordinators office as well.
  by MNCRR9000

Where is the yardmaster in Jamaica located?
  by NYCrails

In a trailer east just before the interlocking heading into Johnson Ave yard.
  by Crabman1130

Is that it behind the red building?
  by MNCRR9000

I'm kind of surprised the Jamaica yardmaster is in a trailer and not in the Jamaica Control Center (JCC).
  by onorclose7

There are times when the Yardmaster has to physically go out in the yard. The location of the trailer makes that easy. The yard crew stays in that trailer as well. The closer the better when the shit hits the fan.
  by SwingMan

Yes, the trailer between the Johnson Ave Lead and Armour siding is the yardmaster's office.
  by lirr42

Is the Jamaica Yardmaster being mentioned here also the same person for Jamaica Storage Yard (the diesel yards about 3,000 feet west of the station platforms)? It seems like locating them more in the vicinity of the 'former' JAY tower would make them more equidistant to the three big yards (from a geographical standpoint, at least).
  by SwingDog

Storage Yard has its own yardmasters located in a building named after a yardmaster.
  by lirr42

Gotcha, I thought so, but wasn't sure as STY wasn't listed on the previously posted list of Yardmasters.
  by SwingDog

Johnson avenue used to have a yardmaster also. Jamaica was YARD 1, Johnson AVe was YARD 2 and the storage yard was YARD 3. An New york had one on 21 TRACK.