Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by S@fino

trackml2 wrote:The DE's and DM's can be operated from the rear, but only in yards.
Thanks. That's logical.

by S@fino

Does anyone have some photos of DE's or DM's driving-pult??

by Liquidcamphor

MadMan..

The DE/DM's are designed to operate from the "goofy hood" end. From that end, you'll have full throttle, train braking, automatic speed control, etc. The rear has a Hostler Stand which only has two foward and one reverse throttle position, independant brake only, no speed control or crash protection like the "F" end.

They have in emergencies to rescue a train, run a DE backwards on top of a train...that move usually consisted of the Engineer in the main cab operating throttle and train brake and a qualified employee in the Hostler Stand calling signals and such. A move like that can only be done at Restricted speed and stopping at crossings to assure that there will be no grade-crossing incident.
  by Sean 518

The photo is indeed a few years old. The 161 now has the new paint scheme. I was wondering if anyone from the yard or Morris Park area knows if 416 was sent out. I have not seen it for some time or had it on any of my train consist. Also, I have not seen the following for some time; 403,406,418,508 and 512. Any ideas. Just curious.
  by S@fino

Sean 518 wrote:The photo is indeed a few years old. The 161 now has the new paint scheme. I was wondering if anyone from the yard or Morris Park area knows if 416 was sent out. I have not seen it for some time or had it on any of my train consist. Also, I have not seen the following for some time; 403,406,418,508 and 512. Any ideas. Just curious.
I have seen 403 in July 2004 in servis on Oyster Bay branch...

by M1 9147

415 is in the barn at Morris Park as well as 514. All the other engines as 416 are all in service except for 503. 503 was spotted at Morris Park a few days ago by Emfinite, and LIRR 7285 outside the barn at Morris Park still in the same shape it was 2 years ago. I also had a discussion last night with LIRR 7285 when I was with him on the fact that a bidder must come up to get the 503 completely rebuilt and fixed up. Now all of the DE/DM30AC's are supposedly out of warranty, so we all have to wonder if 503 if and when it gets rebuilt if it will be under warranty by EMD.

by Long Island 7285

Simply put. the meltdown happened when the engines were still warrentied?

that would mean that EMD is responsible to fully restore that engine.
how ever since the politics of the wonderfull state of NY and the lovely LIRR team the dueo might have voided any warenty left on the thing..

by li7039

bak to 503 new news still dead anymore photos date of ire how many runs it did before fire and date of delievery

Re:

by Martin Baumann

Do you know the exact date of 503's fire in Greenlawn, please?
October 23 2000
  by EM2000

Look at that, a full decade.
  by SwingMan

And 10 years later it's even more of a hunk of junk then it was then.
  by RGlueck

Any current images of the beast?
  by 4400Washboard

RGlueck wrote:Any current images of the beast?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_DE30AC ... st2011.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

August 2011. Newest I can find
  by RGlueck

I take it, the entire carbody must be roasted out? Doesn't look like a total loss from the outside. I have yet to hear anything good about these locomotives.