• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Mr rt

Why are we talking about this again ?
Nothing is happening & nothing will :-(
Wish it were, but it ain't.
  by b&m 1566

Because it's a forum and it's what we do.
I still have hope (not much) that there is a chance the Flying Yankee can run again but they FLYG has to go and or the state has to sell it. It needs to be in the hands of knowledgeable people that can finish the work. Forget the Amtrak compliance bull**** and just get it running good enough for a heritage railroad to operate it.
  by mxdata

The Flying Yankee is also worth discussing because there are many lessons to be learned from it that could help other groups do restoration projects properly.
That is of course provided that anybody doing preservation projects is really interesting in learning from it.

MX
  by NRGeep

3rdrail wrote:Did somebody mention GALA ???!!! :-) :-) :-)
:wink:
  by markhb

NRGeep wrote:
3rdrail wrote:Did somebody mention GALA ???!!! :-) :-) :-)
:wink:
In tribute to our late and wonderful friend 3rdrail, I volunteer to be in charge of the chocolate trilogies.
  by CarterB

Stuff it....mount it...and forget it.
  by NRGeep

At risk of being a broken record, the state of New Hampshire etc could swallow their pride and donate it to Conway. They could resume it's restoration and bring it back to life slowly and (I could be wrong?) it would not have to be up to modern specs to run on part of one of it's historic routes on the Mountain.
  by Cosmo

NRGeep wrote:At risk of being a broken record, the state of New Hampshire etc could swallow their pride and donate it to Conway. They could resume it's restoration and bring it back to life slowly and (I could be wrong?) it would not have to be up to modern specs to run on part of one of it's historic routes on the Mountain.
And at the risk of myself sounding like an improperly functioning audio device, who says Conway Scenic would want the darn thing? And what use would they have for it? They rehab one or two coaches at a time, which is all their well-managed budget can handle. And remember, the FY is single ended and it wont fit on their turntable.
Also, their Notch trains have grown to 9 cars, WAY more capacity than the FY could dream of handling.
It's all well and good to dream, but let's take a modicum of salt with our fantasies.
  by NRGeep

Cosmo wrote:
NRGeep wrote:At risk of being a broken record, the state of New Hampshire etc could swallow their pride and donate it to Conway. They could resume it's restoration and bring it back to life slowly and (I could be wrong?) it would not have to be up to modern specs to run on part of one of it's historic routes on the Mountain.
And at the risk of myself sounding like an improperly functioning audio device, who says Conway Scenic would want the darn thing? And what use would they have for it? They rehab one or two coaches at a time, which is all their well-managed budget can handle. And remember, the FY is single ended and it wont fit on their turntable.
Also, their Notch trains have grown to 9 cars, WAY more capacity than the FY could dream of handling.
It's all well and good to dream, but let's take a modicum of salt with our fantasies.
Fair enough. I guess a static display is the best we can ask for at this point. :(
  by Trainman101

Screw it, bring her back to Edaville.
  by MEC407

Why? So they can gut it and turn it into a hot dog stand?
  by NHV 669

MEC407 wrote:Why? So they can gut it and turn it into a hot dog stand?
at least it would turn a profit as such.... I'll eat a FY-dog before I pay to stare at a statue
  by Trainman101

MEC407 wrote:Why? So they can gut it and turn it into a hot dog stand?
This may get me banned from the forum but the flying yankee almost looks like the wiener mobile
  by MEC407

LOL