Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Morisot

Sorry, not so good with various equipment designations --- I'm more into the people who like trains and work on trains. So I'm not even averse to some kind of "can-opener" type of first car.
  by Tommy Meehan

I guess the only thing we haven't gotten around to in this thread is a streetview of the crossing, approaching in the same direction as the accident SUV: from SW to NE. The train was approaching from the right on the near track. I've driven over this crossing several times and it's not one of my favorites.

by talltim

Morisot wrote:talltim - if I may, what kind of engine is your avatar photo? Does a tapered nose like that on an engine do a better job at deflecting obstructions (like I envision cow-catchers used to), rather than the rather flat-faced cab cars do?
Its a Norwegian Type bm73 EMU http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSB_Class_73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I doubt that the taper makes much difference in crashes of this type.
  by EDM5970

The tapered nose, specifically designed to deflect things on the track, didn't work in CA a few days ago, when the train hit the pickup and trailer. Three cars on their sides; so far no fatalities.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you Mr. Meehan, for posting those screen shots of the scene.

Much earlier in the discussion, I posted the Googlemobile's rendering of the scene, but I guess in order to post photos directly to this site, you need be registered at a photo-sharing site such as, in your case, Photobucket.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5#p1315759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But regardless, even if traffic was backed up from the Taconic to the X-ing, there was good visibility so that an attentive motorist would have clearly seen the potential for danger and stayed off the tracks until the traffic was clear. However, it should be evident that Ms. Brody's mind was "elsewhere" - even if she were using a hands free cellular phone device.
  by Morisot

talltim - thank you for the information.

EDM5970 - unfortunately, I think you are right in the California case---where the truck and the trailer were lengthwise on the track. The engineer is in critical condition, fighting for his life.
  by SemperFidelis

And for whatever reason the driver of the vehicle chose to flee the scene and was arrested, in apparently an uninjured state. Fleeing the scene of an accident, especially one where people are left fighting for thier lives, tends to cause people to draw conclusions...

Again, all thoughts and prayers for the victims.
  by nomis

Mod Note: Let's keep the CA accident in the CA thread, m'kay ...
  by SemperFidelis

Sorry about the off topic (CA accident) commentary. Shan't happen again.
  by Tommy Meehan

In an incident Tuesday a Norwalk CT police officer was able to prevent a collision between an SUV and a Metro-North Danbury train. The SUV became trapped on the crossing due to stopped traffic.
[The officer] got out of his car and quickly ran up the line of cars in front of the SUV, waving his arms and yelling at them to move forward. The cars managed to nudge up a bit just in time for the SUV to move out of the way of the oncoming train. "The cars in front were able to move forward and the SUV gunned it. The train came right by blaring its horn," Officer Neil Robertson said. There was no time to try to evacuate the SUV, because the female driver would have had to get out in a matter of seconds and clear the scene, Robertson said. Link
It wasn't stated but you would think the extensive publicity about the Valhalla event might've raised awareness among police officers about the potential for this kind of incident. There were some similar circumstances between this incident and the tragedy in Valhalla. In Norwalk traffic was snarled due to drivers detouring because of an accident that had closed I-95. The heavy traffic was also stopping within the grade crossing area.
Last edited by Tommy Meehan on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Morisot

The extensive publicity didn't seem to raise awareness of drivers. (For non-locals: Norwalk, 26 miles from Valhalla, is also served by Metro-North.)

There is soooo much I would like to saaaaay.....ghm
  by DutchRailnut

its at Cross street MP1.7 A.K.A route 1
http://binged.it/1APxHGu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Tommy Meehan

Thanks Dutch. I haven't ridden in a while but I have ridden the Danbury Branch many times. I must admit I did not remember that it crossed Route 1 at grade.

I'm going to edit out the reference in the earlier message.
Last edited by Tommy Meehan on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

just north of wall street tunnel.