• Oil & Ethanol trains on River Sub

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by CPSK

Hi;
I am seeing many trains with BNSF, CN, UP, and other foreign power on the River sub. Does anyone know which are the oil and which are the ethanol trains? They all look the same - lots of black tankers with red tags on them.

Thanks

CP
  by waldwickrailfan

CPSK wrote:Hi;
I am seeing many trains with BNSF, CN, UP, and other foreign power on the River sub. Does anyone know which are the oil and which are the ethanol trains? They all look the same - lots of black tankers with red tags on them.

Thanks

CP
The symbol is the main thing to hear for. K0xx or K1xx trains are oil, while K4xx or K6xx are ethanol. Also, on the red tags are the numbers. 1267 are crude oil, while 1987 is ethanol.
  by CPSK

waldwickrailfan wrote:
CPSK wrote:Hi;

Thanks

CP
The symbol is the main thing to hear for. K0xx or K1xx trains are oil, while K4xx or K6xx are ethanol. Also, on the red tags are the numbers. 1267 are crude oil, while 1987 is ethanol.
Thanks for the info. I rarely get close enough to read the tags though. Last train I watched (and took video with my iPhone) I didn't have my radio so didn't know the symbol.

CP
  by GOLDEN-ARM

and they are tank cars, not tankers.