• Oil Trains (RJMA / MARJ, OI-x, etc)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by 690

Here's a picture of the train in question at CPF 477 by Flickr member Selkirk Sub Rail Films:

GRS yahoo group doesn't seem to know if it's an ethanol train, or crude.
  by newpylong

Surprised no one has just looked at a placard.
  by doublestack

Ethanol to Providence via P&W........just a guess.
  by 690

It's crude, it was at Plaistow at ~10:15, I waited at Kennebunk until about 12:15, then started making my way down towards Dover. Got to Dover at 13:30, POED was tied down, but no sign of the LOT.
  by dnelson

Assuming this train is in fact bound for Northern Maine Junction, I believe this will train will be CMQ's first ever oil train, and represent their entrance into the business that brought down their predecessor.
  by Cowford

Great to see this! Wonder if it's related to avoiding looming labor-related service disruptions on CN/CP.
  by newpylong

Train is indeed bound for the CMQ.
  by KSmitty

dnelson wrote:Assuming this train is in fact bound for Northern Maine Junction, I believe this will train will be CMQ's first ever oil train, and represent their entrance into the business that brought down their predecessor.
This will also be the first BNSF power on the former B&A. Yes, EMRY used some units while trains were unloading, and did transverse some of Brwonville Junction's tracks, but thats "CP turf." These will be the first up the "real" B&A.
  by 690

And another usual day for Pan Am... train got recrewed at the state line, and made it to MP 257 before they tied it down for the night.
  by Highball

690 wrote: train got recrewed at the state line, and made it to MP 257 before they tied it down for the night.
Where is MP 257 ?
  by 690

Swamscott St in Newfields... or 17 miles from state line.
  by KSmitty

They might have wanted the train in Newfields for the pending storm, or pending room to the east. If the first crew outlawed, the second crew could have known how briefly they'd be on the train when called.

Not to defend the poor crew useage, we've all seen some crazy stuff, but it is possible this endeavor was planned from the outset.
  by doublestack

Thanks to 16th ave. productions, here's a clip of the oil can unit heading east thru N.H. on Saturday. Note, this train has only 60 tank cars instead of the usual 105 +/- used.
The video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc_ddDkk9CA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by tonyschul

Last Winter I asked if the Port of Albany ever freezes over, hoping, as a result of something like that, that the oil trains would restart and give PAS/PAR another chance to show that they can handle the traffic. I was told 'that never happens.' Based on what I have read in other places, I think that the Port of Albany is have a hard time with ice and making it's delivery times. This train may a result of that.

It seems the train made very good time from RJ to the NH border, less than 24 hours, but is now stuck somewhere waiting for a new crew (unless it has moved and no one has reported it). Hopefully it gets to Irving soon, and they decide to send more. This kind of traffic is a real money maker. A straight shot across the entire length of the system with no special handling in E. Deerfield, Ayer, Portland or Waterville. Just need fresh crews to keep it moving.

Hoping to seem more just like it.