• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by p42thedowneaster

I figure if the CAT can power an SD-40 truck...it could easily handle a single 2 axle power truck instead. Certainly, other provisions will have to be made for on board hotel power. Yet, in the days of LED and Fluorescent lighting, one would need to worry most about providing an additional udercarriage diesel generator adequate to handle the load of the A/C equipment.
  by MEC407

A CAT C9 isn't going to cut it unless they only plan to move the Yankee at very low speeds. One of the larger ones like the C19 would be up to the task, though.
  by Mikejf

The C9 powering a generator would be fine, if the amps were correct to get the speed you want. The faster you go, the more amps you need, until you get up to speed.
  by BandA

The state of NH owns the FY, correct? This could be the first DMU set for the NH commuter rail service :-D
  by djlong

I visited the FY a few years back and asked them what it would take for restoration completion and got the figure of "up to $3M" from the guy working there.

Seems to me that it would be kinda interesting if you could somehow refurbish the FY as part of the project to extend commuter rail up to (at least) Manchester since you'd be buying a whole train for that cost as opposed to something above the cost of an engine alone.

I know - pipe dream - but dreams are cheap :)
  by CannaScrews

Don't even go there.......

The unit is 80 years old. Standards have changed. Just the crash-worthiness of the unit is in question.

And, it is single ended.

The project is a disaster - maybe in 20 years, something will be done. The best thing is to stuff & mount it under cover, devise a realistic plan & put the funding in place.

And where are the contributions going to:

The Flying Yankee, MEC 470 or B&M 3713 - not to mention all off the "lessor" projects that are lingering around?

I'd rather dream of a nice Spring day in the North End of Boston WITHOUT SNOW!!!!!!

(better chance of that coming true)
  by p42thedowneaster

Surely restored RDCs are a wiser alternative... I'm surprised PAR hasn't even considered running something like this with subsidies.

Back to the FY....it looks like the C9 generators have been used in multiples in genset locos. Maybe 2 units could be used if there is room. This would be on mission with the FYs bold initiative. Rather than just showcase the breaking technology of the 30s, the FY could throw in a twist of 2015 efficiency. One gen could always be online to power the hotel features and modest propulsion, and the second gen could be thrown on at the last minute to get ya up Hobo Hill in Lincoln.
  by mxdata

A participant on the RYPN website recently posted a set of photos he took during a visit to the Flying Yankee in 2013. That prompted me to get out my own photos of the same views inside the train taken back in 2007. Frankly I don't see much difference in the photos of the interior of the cars except the pile of wood in the middle of the floor on the #3 car got smaller.

MX
  by p42thedowneaster

At least we have great access to the FY. Even though progress is stalled, we are still allowed to go under the canopy and take a tour inside. Id rather see it this way for years than stuffed and mounted with no access ever.
  by NHV 669

I can always see the long canopy from 93.... is that something you have to arrange with the Hobo group, or something they run a schedule of?
  by mxdata

CannaScrews wrote:Don't even go there.......

The unit is 80 years old. Standards have changed. Just the crash-worthiness of the unit is in question.

And, it is single ended.

The project is a disaster - maybe in 20 years, something will be done. The best thing is to stuff & mount it under cover, devise a realistic plan & put the funding in place.

And where are the contributions going to:

The Flying Yankee, MEC 470 or B&M 3713 - not to mention all off the "lessor" projects that are lingering around?

I'd rather dream of a nice Spring day in the North End of Boston WITHOUT SNOW!!!!!!

(better chance of that coming true)
A couple comments expanding on CannaScrews excellent posting......

While the train has been sitting there, the regulations relating to equipment being built and rebuilt for passenger service are progressively changing. If they plan on rebuilding this to be Tier 4 (or 5, or 6) compliant they are entering a whole new world of compliance requirements backed up by regulations that call for extensive documentation, procedure development, and training plans. Commuter rail is going through this right now with the stricter rules that are taking effect. The price quoted earlier in this discussion, that there is $3 million of work left to be done, could easily increase to double that feature when you take into account the emissions tier changes and documentation requirements. As they have waited, the railroad world has become more complicated and expensive.

And not only is it a single ended vehicle, that does not have a rear coupler, but if it did have one, towing it could still be a problem due to the very light loading on the rear truck.

And on the contribution scene, the Flying Yankee had its day, they tried, they got partway there but they did not make it. When they went "all volunteer" and let go the paid help a few years back, it was a result of decreasing donations in the wake of the 2007-2008 economic events. Despite the talk of a recovery the economy has not improved enough. It was very well known, and if I recall correctly it was mentioned on the Flying Yankee website, that Ben Clark and the railroad donated the work time to finish the weatherization project, the group ran out of money at that point.

Meanwhile there are other groups around that actually have reasonably developed plans for preservation of equipment, that have project teams that are capable, and are deserving of your support if you chose to contribute or take part. Choose wisely.

MX
  by MEC407

I doubt that it would be required to meet any of the tiers (let alone Tier 4 or higher), but if it did, I can't imagine it would be required to meet anything higher than Tier 0, which is very easily achievable.

Probably a moot point though, since the likelihood of the Yankee ever being anything more than a static display is decreasing every day.
  by mxdata

Its age presently exempts it from the requirements but the group announced several years ago that they intended to make it a showcase for new technology. Presently that is Tier 4 but Tiers 5 and 6 are being developed and if by some chance the project does continue the available equipment when they get around to the engine may be a different standard than what is being sold today. And there is no guarantee that the age exemption for old equipment will be maintained in the future.

MX
  by MEC407

mxdata wrote:Its age presently exempts it from the requirements but the group announced several years ago that they intended to make it a showcase for new technology.
Granted, but not long before that they announced that they were saying "to hell with technology" and doing a historically-accurate restoration instead. They've already flip-flopped on this matter two or three times, and they could do so again.
  by mxdata

Yes, in addition to the many statements that it was going to be "Amtrak Compliant", plus a half dozen or so successively set-back completion dates, all of which should be setting off alarm bells about the planning and viability of the project.

MX