• Maine Eastern Railroad (MERR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by therudycometh

bubbytrains wrote:I checked my "The Maine Eastern Magazine 2014 season" (a nicely done publication, btw)...
I designed, wrote, built, formatted, and fabricated every part of that magazine myself from scratch, so I will take that compliment to heart. Thanks!
  by Watchman318

dnelson wrote:For those of you who haven ridden it before, do it this year!
I'll put a "ditto" on that. Letting MERR do the "driving" while you gaze out the windows at the scenery beats driving any day. I remember a reporter or photographer from the Bangor Daily News on the special run in 2004 or whenever it was (with then-Gov. Baldacci on board) saying she lived in Warren, and by riding the train, she saw parts of the town that she had never seen before.

Also wanted to say "Nice photos, Mr. Nelson!" That's a great shot on the Georges River bridge. <thumbsup smiley goes here>
  by Watchman318

For the "diesels in the snow" fans on here, or anyone who might like a nice little holiday greetings video, this is from the ASLRRA. I hadn't seen it until this morning. There's a nice shot of Maine Eastern 489, and later on, M&E 18 is looking good in a Christmas-y scene.

"From America's Small Railroad Industry, with a continued commitment to Safety, in 2015 and beyond." <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pd4f5b8H74>
  by markhb

I'm very sorry to hear of the service reductions this year after the expansion last year with the Wiscasset Flyer. Hopefully, they'll be back in some form in future years. Rudy, are you still with MERR? I was surprised to see a different name on the press release.

So far as the cardinal directions go, I'm fine with the railroad, and the Downeaster, billing themselves as North-South regardless of the employee timetables. I think it makes more sense for the railroad to align its directions with the more-generally-familiar US 1 than to change in an ill-advised attempt at educating a disinterested public in the nuances of railroad terminology. As for US 1 itself, it's not going to change; it's signed as North-South from Fort Kent to Florida and that's how it's going to stay. (Aside: the only major US route I'm aware of that actually does switch directions for any length of time is US 101, which runs North from San Diego to Washington State, then curves and changes signage to East and then South around the Olympic Peninsula.)
  by therudycometh

markhb wrote:Rudy, are you still with MERR? I was surprised to see a different name on the press release.
Yes, I'm still with the MERR, and actually wrote that press release. Harmony is just the one who happens to be answering the questions!
  by markhb

therudycometh wrote:
markhb wrote:Rudy, are you still with MERR? I was surprised to see a different name on the press release.
Yes, I'm still with the MERR, and actually wrote that press release. Harmony is just the one who happens to be answering the questions!
Delegation! Smart man! ;) I'm glad you're still with them (and with us here)!
  by trainsinmaine

BandA wrote:How about NORTH-EAST and SOUTH-WEST?

When I go up north i'm going down east. On the way back I go down south, unless I change my mind and go out west.
I live in Down East Maine, near Blue Hill. Folks who've lived here all their lives speak of "going up to Portland."
  by BerndinMA

Just a little off the current topic. How bad was snow on the line due to the big blizzard? What type of snow clearing equipment does the MERR have?
  by doublestack

BerndinMA wrote:Just a little off the current topic. How bad was snow on the line due to the big blizzard? What type of snow clearing equipment does the MERR have?
Brunswick got close to 22" from Tuesday's storm, plus another 10"fell on Friday.
Thanks to Dan Comick, here's a video of the Maine Eastern working their plow train in Brunswick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgYUSwII2sc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MEC407

Mmmmm... love to hear that 12-251 bark. :-D
  by Mikejf

Just reported, Waldoboro, Maine. Maine Eastern Railroad building on fire on Depot Street. I'll post more as I get it
  by Cosmo

Oh fudge! I hope it's not the old station. :(