• Jenkintown Wye

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ex Budd man

Is Septa reinstalling the wye at Jenkintown? I've seen a lot of work on the former right of way along the SPS factory. It would make sense to have an alternative to the Zoo and make it easier to make CSX moves from the West Trenton line to the former main. Anyone hear anything?
  by R3 Passenger

by ex Budd man

Too bad, we really could use a wye there.
  by Suburban Station

ex Budd man wrote:Too bad, we really could use a wye there.
Could you run a train to bethlehem that way (via jenkintown and trenton?) If so would it be at all competitive with an njt train via Philipsburg if it operated as an amtrak train from trenton?
  by R3 Passenger

1. It is kind of a roundabout routing to take. I would imagine that using the Trenton Cutoff and building a ramp down to the Bethlehem Line just south of Fort Washington station would be quicker than the Jenkintown Wye. The Philipsburg route would be more direct and probably even quicker.

2. An engine change would be necessary somewhere, adding on a bit of time since diesels are not allowed in the North River Tunnels. Don't say "ACES." And an Amtrak train won't run out of Hoboken.

3. The NIMBYs won't give up their trail to nowhere, so this idea is DOA.

4. Why are we talking about Philipsburg on the SEPTA forum and hypotheticals? Somebody, please, stop me...
  by ChrisinAbington

I'd throw out an idea about creating a wye to get onto the Stony Creek freight line from the Reading Main line northbound, but I think that ship has long sailed as well. On top of Jenkingtown's still missing wye, I believe there's a new senior housing development going up in Lansdale on the ROW that would be needed. Of course, the whole idea would be of VERY limited appeal to customers, as Stony Creek appears very curvy and slow. Plus it would dump more freight in Norristown (fouling a few crossings) to points West. So, I have discreditted my own thoughts with very little effort. :)
  by Suburban Station

The advantage of the reading main routing is that it could also accommodate philadelphia bound trains but if it travel time to ny is ridiculous that isn't much help
  by AlexC

SEPTA guys... SEPTA.
  by glennk419

Although I don't recall this substation as being particularly troublesome, the new one will certainly add reliability to the system. Will the new sub also have additional capacity over the old one?