Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Doc Emmet Brown

The second picture looks like the middle 60's Based on the autos in it, also it looks like they are starting to put in the temporary high platforms. You can see the new red temporary high platforms going in, for the M-1's which started arriving in 1968. With the crane in the background its possible they were also starting the grade crossing elimination project, which was not finished until August 1973 or so. Might be a little early for that.
  by mkm4

Based on the "Camelot" ad in the background of the first photo, I'd guess the early 60's. Camelot was on Broadway from Dec 1960 to Jan 1963.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

the red chevy Impala in the 2nd picture is at least a 65 model. The red car to the left of the Black studebaker. That makes the 2nd Picture at least 1965. Impalas did not look like that till at least 1965. So the two pictures are from different years..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Impala" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Trainmaster5

I think the red Chevy Impala is a 1959 model looking at the body style. The '65 Impala had a more subdued front end .
  by Doc Emmet Brown

The LAST car on the LEFT is a 65 or later impala. The second car from the right could be a 58 or 59.
  by LB

Based on timeline of ACL Grade Elimination Project and fact that tree's are bare in the photos, I would estimate winter late 1967/early 1968. On Arrt's Arrchives Lindenhurst page (scroll down near bottom of the page/Link below), there is a similar picture taken from a train in 1968 (again appears to be winter/ trees have no leaves) where you see the crane and temporary station starting to be built in the background. Looks like temporary station construction is a little further along in the Trains are Fun photo, so I think early 1968 is the best answer.

Lindenhurst Page Arrt's Arrchives
http://arrts-arrchives.com/BRESLAU2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MACTRAXX

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:The LAST car on the LEFT is a 65 or later impala. The second car from the right could be a 58 or 59.
Doc and Everyone:

I will second this observation concerning these two vehicles and another note that I will add is the use of New York's 1966-1973 "Blue" license plates...I can see the lower right corner rear plate sticker visible on at least one vehicle in this picture...I am a license plate buff/collector and I look for plates in pictures like these shown in use...

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MattAmity90

22565_1172250234699_7956425_n.jpg
Judging from photos of Lindenhurst during the grade elimination, this photo is obviously looking East since the power lines have always been on the North side of the tracks in that area (they were relocated during the other eliminations that were not in Suffolk) the temporary station was constructed on the other side of the crossing BEHIND the photographer. I have a photo of the tracks ripped out already looking in the same direction with the shoo-fly tracks to the left. This was definitely taken in late 1967/early 1968.