• Browns Yard customer with spur and new xing ripped out

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by carajul

The Minteq spur has been disconnected from the main on the Amboy Secondary just west of browns yard. They put in new LED grade xing signals very high up so right turning trucks didn't hit them. Here is a pic
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=220631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I drove over this today and the spur is rusted solid and has been severed from the main track.

Oh, on another note, the ancient boxcar siding spur at the Helmetta Snuff Mill is gone. The rails were ripped up and the ties are laying around. They are refurbing the mill into condos or something (just want NJ needs).
  by bigblue5277

carajul wrote:The Minteq spur has been disconnected from the main on the Amboy Secondary just west of browns yard. They put in new LED grade xing signals very high up so right turning trucks didn't hit them. Here is a pic
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=220631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I drove over this today and the spur is rusted solid and has been severed from the main track.

Oh, on another note, the ancient boxcar siding spur at the Helmetta Snuff Mill is gone. The rails were ripped up and the ties are laying around. They are refurbing the mill into condos or something (just want NJ needs).
Minteq is a westbound spur with a very close proximity to the yard. Telling from the shadows in the pic it looks that this industry was getting served in the A.M. Perhaps Minteq got served by one of the yard jobs.

There's an active industry, don't know the name, which is just east of Summerhill Rd. on the Amboy Sec. in Spotswood. http://jasongp38.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... id=4079060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, this industry have an eastbound spur. I believe this active industry also gets served in the morning on certain weekday(s), perhaps by SA3. If this is correct the train would have to shove west from the yard with splat car in front, which would be opposite to the train that Minteq used to see.

Are there any other active industries on the Amboy Sec. west of the yard?
  by TAMR213

Sad to see Minteq finally bite the dust - though to be honest it seemed like they were served very infrequently (if ever) over the past few years.
bigblue5277 wrote: There's an active industry, don't know the name, which is just east of Summerhill Rd. on the Amboy Sec. in Spotswood. http://jasongp38.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... id=4079060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, this industry have an eastbound spur. I believe this active industry also gets served in the morning on certain weekday(s), perhaps by SA3. If this is correct the train would have to shove west from the yard with splat car in front, which would be opposite to the train that Minteq used to see.
That would be the former Temple-Inland Container (now International Paper) Spotswood Corrugated Box Plant.
  by bigblue5277

TAMR213 wrote: That would be the former Temple-Inland Container (now International Paper) Spotswood Corrugated Box Plant.
Thanks for that info. And speaking of the devil, today at 4:30 pm I saw the train that serves this industry running eastbound on the Amboy Secondary, crossing the South River and heading back to the yard.

CSX2814 + 2 boxcar + 1 splat + 6 boxcar
I'm thinking this was SA3 running late perhaps due to the cold.

Here's what I figure: The splat was for the shove to International Paper where the first two boxcars were picked up. This industry has a small spur which can only hold a few cars. After going back across Main St. in Spotswood, but before reaching the Rt. 18 overpass, the train then backed onto another larger spur where they picked up the remaining six boxcars. What's this latter industry?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4027083 ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by EDM5970

I work up that way from time to time, and the large industry right on Main Street has small signs saying SWM, for Spotswood Mill. I believe it used to be a Kimberly-Clark facility; no idea what they make there, though.
  by TAMR213

EDM5970 wrote:I work up that way from time to time, and the large industry right on Main Street has small signs saying SWM, for Spotswood Mill. I believe it used to be a Kimberly-Clark facility; no idea what they make there, though.
Who says the Tobacco Industry is necessarily all bad? That is the Schweitzer Mauduit Plant. From their website:
The Spotswood Mill - Spotswood, New Jersey
Acquired by SWM in 1940, this mill is currently dedicated to the production of Lower Ignition Propensity (LIP) cigarette papers in North America.
Phone: +1 732 723 6100
Address: 85 Main Street, Spotswood, New Jersey 08884, USA
Also, back in the day there used to be a Budweiser Brewery next door.
  by bigblue5277

They say a beer and a cigarette go well together. Thanks for this info.
I wonder how often and on what days these 2 industries typically get served. Let me see if I have any info on this.
Speaking of tobacco one of the old Helmetta snuff factory buildings is getting converted into a higher end apartment.