Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by SecaucusJunction

Does anyone know why there are now 2 controlled points at Sparrow? From what I'm told, they are back to back.
  by TDowling

I'm assuming that the new train will coincide with the introduction of the new cab signals.
  by MTASUPT

The Eastbound signal at Sparrow currently is "Automatic" The new signal which will be east of the existing signal will be a holding signal which the NJT dispatcher will control so if a train was coming out of the yard and is lined out to track 2,this signal will protect that move.

No the new train will not be in conjunction with the Cab Signal cutover.
  by CentralValleyRail

TDowling wrote:I'm assuming that the new train will coincide with the introduction of the new cab signals.
I would hope so as the new train service isn't coming until April 2016.
  by SecaucusJunction

I'd be interested in seeing ridership numbers now that the parking along the route has been made (nearly) free. I know it was up in the first half of 2014. Hopefully further ridership will necessitate further investments and increases in service.
  by NH2060

SecaucusJunction wrote:I'd be interested in seeing ridership numbers now that the parking along the route has been made (nearly) free. I know it was up in the first half of 2014. Hopefully further ridership will necessitate further investments and increases in service.
Here are the numbers (Fair use quote below):
•Port Jervis Line, 852,100, 3.3 percent increase

•Pascack Valley Line, 555,500, 12.7 percent increase

Total west of Hudson, 1.4 million, 6.8 percent increase

Source: MTA Metro-North Railroad

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/transit ... /21264879/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by EM2000

Traffic will not "flip" after one block in a reverse direction between interlocking's.
  by DutchRailnut

it will on upper Harlem and Danbury branch system.
  by SecaucusJunction

Those numbers go up to October. The parking fees were dropped in November. Hopefully the numbers have gotten even better.
  by EM2000

I can see that creating some real problems. Also, it goes against the most basic train rules, but your book rid itself of those anyway.
  by DutchRailnut

it will flip as long as there is no other train between interlockings, the movement of one train will cause direction to flip, very beneficial on single track.
  by sullivan1985

I find the configuration of CP Sparrow/CP WX strange.

A back-to-back control point (well CP SPARROW is only a control point in the west direction). The eastbound signal is an automatic and is about 300ft from the new eastbound home board that will soon be CP WX.

I'm curious as to why Metro-North didn't just try to acquire CP SPARROW from the Susquehanna to avoid the back-to-back configuration. Also figured it would be in Metro-North's/NJ Transit's interest to be able to hold a train out on the single track and have the ability to line the train as needed. Lastly, with all the money being invested in that line I figured that spring switch would have it's days numbered. Of course only on rare occasions do any passenger trains make it that far west for whatever reason.

Rumors are rumors but to play the Devil's Advocate, you would think that if NS through freight returned to the Southern Tier that having SPARROW made into a fully functional interlocking would be useful.
  by Steve F45

nysw was supposed to be replacing several spring switches on the tier, just not sure which ones they were going to be doing. Im trying to find where it was posted.
  by nomis

Steve, are you sure they were do do any work in Passenger territory? DRN doesn't think so.
  by SecaucusJunction

Metro North must not be able to acquire property or extend the lease any further west than they currently do. I'd think it would be difficult to have an approach signal at Sparrow followed immediately by a stop signal. Trains seem to have been making record time over the Southern Tier to Binghamton lately. (all 3 that run per week) and something like this could slow them down a bit.

I also heard that Sparrow would be made a power switch at some point. (OT) Rumors are that NY and PA are paying good $$ to weld rail and power switches to Binghamton. Unfortunately, to this point, all this work that has been done seems like a pretty big waste of money.

Right now it is much ado about nothing as there is really no activity in the area anyway, so only the birds will notice any real changes at Sparrow.