• Pottstown train lines

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by degrees83

So ive been to pottstown many times now and when i go down hanover street i cross over a single track line that goes by montgomery county community college pottstown campus and then i go across a 2 track crossing. i know that is actively used, but the single track, what is that used for and is it still used today?
  by AlexC

That's probably the old PRR Schuylkill Branch.

The Pennsy served Pottstown as well. But it was second fiddle.

It was used while Occidental Chemical was open down on Armand Hammer Rd, but I think it's pretty much abandoned.
  by maddoxdy

I think they at least do maintenance on it. I saw some tie replacement going on in the past year. Although I have never seen the track used. I get out there once a month abouts on the SEPTA Rt 93.

Doug Maddox
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Depending on weather, I hope to be in Pottstown Saturday and get something going past old Reading station. Have a get-together about 30 mins away and want to stop there for a while before i go.
  by Tom_E_Reynolds

AlexC wrote:That's probably the old PRR Schuylkill Branch.

The Pennsy served Pottstown as well. But it was second fiddle.

It was used while Occidental Chemical was open down on Armand Hammer Rd, but I think it's pretty much abandoned.
https://www.google.com/maps/preview/@40 ... a=!3m1!1e3

The scrap yard gets a car or two on a regular basis. But I have never seen a car or truck in the new transload yard just north of the scrap yard...
About 5-7 years ago I caught a train loading some cars into the warehouses to the right.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Finally got to Pottstown yesterday. Got 1 train past old Reading station. Coal train tied up a little west of station. New NS #1103 on point.
  by Orion78

Lately there has been alot of traffic on the Industrial Highway track. H49 operates that track ainbetween there and Reading. Often I see Operation Life Savers running as that train.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I probably won't be returning to Pottstown anymore if I am alone. In the past week or so I have heard about a mailman being mugged and beaten up by a gang of teens and other incidents of robberies and assaults.I truly didn't feel comfortable sitting in my car next to the tracks waiting in an open parking lot. Getting some video footage isn't worth risking life and limb for. Ask me why I have never shot video in Plainfield or New Brunswick ,NJ.
  by Statkowski

If I'm out in the middle of nowhere taking train shots, I've got a handgun on my hip just in case (feral dogs, rabid raccoons, urban yutes, etc. - was warned one time to watch for a pair of pit bulls in the area). Of course, you're from New Jersey and they don't allow their subjects the right to self defense, so I honestly don't know what to tell you.
  by trackwelder

Statkowski wrote:If I'm out in the middle of nowhere taking train shots, I've got a handgun on my hip just in case (feral dogs, rabid raccoons, urban yutes, etc. - was warned one time to watch for a pair of pit bulls in the area). Of course, you're from New Jersey and they don't allow their subjects the right to self defense, so I honestly don't know what to tell you.
pepper spray or taser?
  by Statkowski

Does New Jersey permit its subjects to own and carry such? I'll stick with my 9mm for personal protection.