• New Signal System Lehigh line - why always green?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

I noticed from Packerton Yard south thru Lehigh Gap NS installed new block signals. They are the darth vader style. The old CNJ target signals are gone. Just curious why this was done? Also why are the new block signals always green on both sides? I always thought signals only illuminated when a train was in the block and also one side is green the other side must be red. But on these new signals both sides are green simultaneously.
  by glennk419

carajul wrote:I noticed from Packerton Yard south thru Lehigh Gap NS installed new block signals. They are the darth vader style. The old CNJ target signals are gone. Just curious why this was done? Also why are the new block signals always green on both sides? I always thought signals only illuminated when a train was in the block and also one side is green the other side must be red. But on these new signals both sides are green simultaneously.

Is it just one signal or have you observed several giving the same indication? Do they drop when a train passes? I know that CSX uses signals like you described to report switch position but that's usually in dark territory. I'm also assuming that this is cab signal territory and not just ABS?
  by carajul

Its all the new ttackside block signals. Its on the NS lehigh line. All of them are green on both sides.