• Train dispatcher?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by matawanaberdeen

I local large passenger RR is hiring train dispatchers. Its actually something I've been interested in for a while now. What qualifications are required? The job posting does not mention previous dispatching experience or college education needed. I am very familiar with working in a 24-7/365 day a year industry. I am on-call now 24-7/365 for emergencies. Thanks for any info.
  by COEN77

I don't know of any requirements needed like college. Railroads would like some railroad experience but it's not a requirement. A new hire would go through both classroom training & OJT. Most likely openings for a Train Dispatcher would be posted for both internal & external applicants. I don't anything on passenger service. My comments are only based on freight. Never know till you put in the application. Good Luck.
  by matawanaberdeen

Thanks for the reply. I will send my app. and resume in and see what happens. Can't hurt to try, but not a huge chance I get a look but at least I tried. Thanks again for the help.
  by Steve F45

i saw the same posting, but i think it did say a requirement was knowledge of norac and other applicable rules. I thought about applying myself since i work in a dispatch job now for 10 years. Worst they can say is not qualified.
  by matawanaberdeen

Yeah but the way I read the kinda vague posting is its a training program overall. That is the only reason why I am gonna give it a try.
  by Steve F45

well if thats the case then i'll be adding my info into the mix also.
  by matawanaberdeen

Steve F45 wrote:well if thats the case then i'll be adding my info into the mix also.

Why not right. Can't hurt to try. Its not a job for everyone from what I can gather from friends. Its 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Weekends, holidays and nights.
  by Steve F45

matawanaberdeen wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:well if thats the case then i'll be adding my info into the mix also.

Why not right. Can't hurt to try. Its not a job for everyone from what I can gather from friends. Its 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Weekends, holidays and nights.
thats what i do now. I missed my kids 1st birthday cause of work. im used to not having things off.
  by matawanaberdeen

Well I think you have an excellent shot. I have a 1% shot, but still am gonna try. I have no real dispatching experience, the only thing I have going for me is I work in a 365 day a year industry, I'm on-call 24-7, and I work screwy hours at times. Other than that I have no shot.
  by Steve F45

Does anyone know what kind of schedule they work? I understand its 24/7/365, but do they work shifts such as 0700-1500, 1500-2300,etc. Also how many dispatchers work per shift or at any given time?
  by CSX Conductor

0700-1500
1500-2300
2300-0700

Dispatchers cannot exceed more than 10 hours on duty per shift and require 16 hours off between shifts.
  by updews

I am returning to the Harriman (Union Pacific) next month after a breif hiatus.
Per federal law a dispatcher in a multiple shift office can only work 9 hours per 24 hour period and must have 15 hours off between shifts
  by mvb119

I believe when a railroad has 2 or more shifts a dispatcher is limited to 9 hours, and 12 hours where there is only 1 shift under the Hours of Service law.
  by matawanaberdeen

mvb119 wrote:I believe when a railroad has 2 or more shifts a dispatcher is limited to 9 hours, and 12 hours where there is only 1 shift under the Hours of Service law.
I thought it was 9 also.
  by supernova1972

Great Lakes CSX is 630 to 1430, 1430 to 2230 and 2230 to 0630. For FRA HOS It's a maximum of 9 hours on during a 24 hour period.