• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Matt Johnson

So I'm sitting directly behind an ACS-64 in business class on 95 as I type this, and I'm happy to report we actually did hit 125 mph for a minute or two. I notice that 122 seems to be the more default cruise speed though. Not that it matters much in practical terms, just something I've noticed.
Last edited by Matt Johnson on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by gokeefe

Matt Johnson wrote:So I'm sitting directly behind an ACS-64 in business class on 95 as I type this, and I'm happy to report we actually did hit 125 mph for a minute or two. I notice that 122 seems to be the more default cruise speed though. Not that it matters much in practic terms, just something I've noticed.
Did you notice any difference in acceleration or other ride qualities vs. any previous trips in an Amfleet with an AEM7 or HHP for power?

Can't imagine you would necessarily but seems worth asking.
  by Matt Johnson

Actually yes, I still get the impression that the HHP's had better acceleration, but the ACS-64 seemed to do well on this trip. 95 was late getting into NYP but I noted it was on time at New Haven so it lost all its time on Metro North. Somehow we lost a little more time on the NYP - WAS run but I think it was due to station dwell times primarily. Though we did run on the local track from Newark to Metropark so that an Acela could overtake us.
  by David Benton

I see in the trains online article, the Engineer checks the pantograph every station. Is this because of a particular problem , or standard procedure?
Last edited by David Benton on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by 8th Notch

David Benton wrote:I see in the trains online article, the driver checks the pantograph every station. Is this because of a particular problem , or standard procedure?
We are considered "engineers" in America not "drivers." Yes that is normal procedure to check the pantograph for any signs of damage or abnormal wear.
  by gokeefe

8th Notch wrote:
David Benton wrote:I see in the trains online article, the driver checks the pantograph every station. Is this because of a particular problem , or standard procedure?
We are considered "engineers" in America not "drivers." Yes that is normal procedure to check the pantograph for any signs of damage or abnormal wear.
8th Notch,

Please pardon our good friend David's use of terms from the Commonwealth. Given that he has been an avid reader and poster in these forums for quite some time I can assure you that he is more than aware of the American terminology but chooses to use the colloquialisms of his native New Zealand. No slight intended on his part I'm sure and I can say without a second thought that he is among the most respectful people here.
  by ApproachMedium

Checking pans is important. Why? I was riding a high speed that the pan was just fine for its trip all the way from WAS to Metropark, then between metro and Newark penn it somehow gathered a plastic bag in the shoe. You never know what can happen between a stop even if its only 15 miles.
  by ajp

saw 617 come thru Mamaroneck on what I believe was 190. It sounded like it had a few flat spots and was traveling quite slowly
  by afiggatt

Can confirm that #627 has made its way east. Saw it parked in the Ivy City yard at WAS this afternoon.
  by Fan Railer

David Benton wrote:I see in the trains online article, the Engineer checks the pantograph every station. Is this because of a particular problem , or standard procedure?
Can you post the URL, even if it is subscriber only?
  by Matt Johnson

David Benton wrote:Here you go, I don't believe it is subscriber only.
http://trn.trains.com/issues/2015/~/lin ... 84CBC&_z=z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, I actually picked up a copy of this issue the other day but the online photos are different from what's in the printed article. Sounds like a winner, though I think the proper question would be: Worthy successor to the AEM-7? (which itself was a worthy successor to the GG1)
  by Gilbert B Norman

Matt Johnson wrote:I think the proper question would be: Worthy successor to the AEM-7? (which itself was a worthy successor to the GG1)
Let us hope such be the case, Mr. Johnson; for somehow I doubt if Congress will allow Amtrak to "bury" such a mistake as they did with both the E60 and SDP-40F, as well as give themselves an occasion to hold mindless and meaningless Subcommittee hearings.

But it would seem that unless the "Höchste Führer der Informationen" has done an excellent job of controlling the spin, the ACS 64's are off to a good start. Apparently the fire aboard one of the units was minor, as there have been sightings of the unit back on the road reported here since the incident occurred.
  by train2

I read the Trains article and the one statement I found so odd it was funny: "Amtk declined to say how many AEM7s and HHP had been retired, and if anyone else was interested in the retired engines." (or some variation of that quote.) I mean what is top secrete to telling how many of your old worn out locos have been retired? Its not after all a national secret. Maybe I could see if you were in negotiations with someone to sell something, but not about how many had been retired. Lets face it not enough people could use them for there to be some massive bidding war they are afterall an old worn out locomotive. Just seem oddest thing in the article.

And on a side note, in the same article it mentioned the knife switch on a AEM7 was outside the engine in an area that require foul time on an adjacent track. That is just an odd place for a knife switch. Normally they are in the cab, and with a dual cab engine it would have to be in one cab or the other. Where these put in such an odd place for a reason?