• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by milkman

butch wrote:there been a update on railroad project. go to chenango county ida and find rail project and click it and will comne up.
The IDA was approved for the federal grant over a year ago yet no construction for the restoration of the line has started yet.
While driving through Chenango Forks a couple of weeks ago, I noticed many railroad cars full of stone ballast parked on a siding.I'm hoping it's for the restoration.
  by JoeCollege

milkman wrote:The IDA was approved for the federal grant over a year ago yet no construction for the restoration of the line has started yet.
While driving through Chenango Forks a couple of weeks ago, I noticed many railroad cars full of stone ballast parked on a siding.I'm hoping it's for the restoration.
The IDA is in the process of informing municipalities of the project and preparing to repair crossings. Some are paved over. I haven't heard of any bids being let so that may happen this fall with a target of Spring construction work. There's no rush on this project, and probably no benefit at all for any of the communities in the county from this line re-opening, hence still stiff resistance.
  by lackman

Any pictures of traffic at the new Oneida County Warehouse, now that it is up and running?

Any pictures of the train going from the Scheidelman area over to the warehouse?

Please post if you have them. Would like to see what is going on around there these days.

Thanks again.
Lackman
  by ricky

i been read the evening sun about this utica line for while.reading about fixing this line.now i glad something is going to be done to this line.i tell you one thing if they going to fix this line better they better have customers for this line? all the wise the work they work to fix this line will be a bust.if their no customers on this line.
  by NYS&W142Fan

Was just reading in last weeks Chenango American the Coventry Station article where they were talking that the restoration of the line would start in the Spring of 2015. Let's hope this comes to pass!
  by Steve F45

can anyone elaborate on how much trackage is going to actually be repaired? Will there be all new ties and upgraded rail? I ask cause the ties look to be in pretty bad shape when i was up in greene, ny a month ago.
  by NYS&W142Fan

Steve F45 wrote:can anyone elaborate on how much trackage is going to actually be repaired? Will there be all new ties and upgraded rail? I ask cause the ties look to be in pretty bad shape when i was up in greene, ny a month ago.
According to the Paper, they said 1,600 ties are needed for the washout areas and another 17,000 ties to replace the bad ones on the line. Last time I saw the rail up there, (before the 2006 floods) the rail was in pretty good shape. That is not to say they won't need to replace a few pieces here and there. They are planning on making it a through line to Utica again.
  by ricky

i dont know if i can post it here or not or another thread but i give shot.does anybody know was up with the richfeild spring branch last i heard they was pose to lay some test track there
  by ut-1

Here is a recent photo of the Utica branch workhorse, NYS&W GP40 3040, having just shoved a covered hopper across the ex-NYO&W bridge over the Sauqouit Creek, New Hartford:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ut-1

And another recent photo of 3040, this time leading a one car freight northbound down Schuyler Street, Utica (can anyone identify what the odd-looking pink apparatus is on the front of the engine?):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ut-1

Finally, the present, rather sad view looking southbound just past the Oxford station; will 2015 be the year when the Utica line is finally repaired?
  by Steve F45

that almost looks like a cat tower/condo that maybe they picked up. lol
  by ladder2

That appears to be a display stand from a shoe store or possibly a display stand from a womans dress shop! In any case one of the crew members probably picked it up from someone's trash barrel! Must have been garbage collection time in Utica, LOL.