• South Street Station: Re-Open?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by 25Hz

I was wondering what everyone thought of re-opening south street station? If not, why not? If yes, which trains should stop there?

While the proximity seems rather close, i feel it might improve transportation equality in the area around the station.

PATH to KEWR will not be having a station between newark airport and newark penn station, so i thought this might make sense in light of that project as well.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Edited thread title.
  by CarterB

If PATH extended to EWR then yes..... But no need for an Amtrak or NJT station there, not enough ridership potential.
  by 25Hz

According to info i've read places, south street was open till the early 70's, when rider numbers were at an all time low.
  by Roadgeek Adam

Short of PATH showing interest, no way. Even so, are people too lazy to walk to South Street from Newark Penn?

It has been proposed by NJDOT in the 2030: FIT program, which has a lot of stuff that's unlikely.
  by 25Hz

From what i have read on this site, the way PATH service to EWR is to be funded, means they cannot build a station here.

It takes the average person 20 minutes to walk a mile. 20 minutes westbound from south street would be pulling into metropark, eastbound it would be pulling into NYP. Think about that for a moment.... Also, I do not think it is kind or fair to call people lazy when they likely have all ready walked some distance... the stations may be a mile apart, but the people don't live at south street station. If you look at the map, you can see it lays in the middle of south ironbound with south broad street on the west side. A bus route is all ready there http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0040.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

One of the main reasons i thought re-opening was a good idea, is that in essence there's all ready a station there to work with. A brand new station along the viaduct would require a lot more time and money consuming design & construction. I am totally unsure of the state of the station's interior, but i do know there is enough space for an elevator outside on both sides of the viaduct possibly negating the need for a waiting area. You put in high platforms, some canopies, TVM, security cameras and suddenly a station has been given new life in a part of newark that could use a bit of help.
  by ExCon90

Very likely NJT couldn't afford the loss of track capacity caused by stopping trains there, especially in peak hours; I would think one train would use up at least three slots.
  by 25Hz

Newark penn has 5 platform tracks, and the area after it has 3 tracks which expand again to i think 5 tracks, then to 2 after that.... i don't see how it would cut slots out if it's in the 4 tracks before newark penn? Those trains could stop at 1 or a eastbound, and 5,4,3 or 2 westbound at newark penn....? You could simply only have the super locals stop there, which are mainly mid-day & before and after peak hours, with maybe one train in the height of the peak hours? Would cut down on a tad bit of crowding at nwk as well, you'd think?
  by ApproachMedium

Stopping trains in the middle of a high density main line? give me a break. Theres buses to bring people from these potential areas to Newark penn. No need to have the trains stop there. We are talking about 70MPH trains leaving westbound from Newark Penn, not yesteryears MUs that couldnt get over 55mph. They also didnt have the Aldene Plan until 1967, 3 years before the station was closed and was probably closed because of the increased train traffic in the area.
  by the sarge

25Hz wrote:Think about that for a moment....
Please do the same...
  by Passaic River Rat

FWIW, NJT's bus routes 40 and 62 operate on Broad Street, one block from the old South Street station. The service operates several times per hour. I think the residents in this area have more frequent service than NJT's conventional rail passengers.
  by ACeInTheHole

I dont see how this would be a benefit to NJT whatsoever. Locked.