• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Sir Ray

Steve F45 wrote:I know its more of a freight thing, but it looks like NS took up the huyler street crossing. Maybe temporary as there is track equipment still on the rails on the east side of the crossing not connected to the rest of the lead.
Do you mean this crossing, a bit south of the I-80 bridge? I didn't realize there was any usable trackage left on the east side, and this Bing view doesn't seem to contradict that. Any update to this location?

And since this thread has discussed Hackensack/Teterboro area freight (past and current), I recall a pasta (I think) plant North of I-80, (north of Wesley, East of Green) as shown in this Bing view - with the storage silos - I know it used to get covered hoppers 10+ years ago (have images of the unloading equipment in some system folder), but IIRC it was going out of business - what was the story with that company - did it go out of business, or if not, why did it stop using rail?
  by Steve F45

yes that is the crossing. i'll drive by tomorrow and see if there are any changes and if that track equipment is still there.

as for that siding to the facotry, that switch if i remember had been long gone for as long as i can remember, that siding has for aslong as i remember been covered up in grass and cars/trucks parking on it.
  by Sir Ray

Steve F45 wrote:as for that siding to the facotry, that switch if i remember had been long gone for as long as i can remember, that siding has for aslong as i remember been covered up in grass and cars/trucks parking on it.
Well Steve, as long as you can remember - you're probably not an middle-aged fart like me yet then.
I am almost positive it was in use around the turn of the [current] century, I have images somewhere, I usually saw only one covered hopper spotted there. No idea how much longer it survived in use in the 21st century, though.
BTW, to be clear I meant the track which curves north from Wesley St after following it East from the main to the plant with the storage silos - as can be seen from certain Bing views, there was a switch at that point, and a branch continued East following on the North side of Wesley St. till I think the I-80 ramps, where it curved south to a facility which had already been converted to a Restaurant supply outlet(no rail freight service needed there) when I first passed it - there were other spurs as can be readily ascertained from the Bing view, but I haven't looked at Historic aerials to see what the layout was in, say, the 1970s.
  by Steve F45

From all my memories i thought the track was paved over at green street. But i might be wrong. been a while.

as for that other one taht curved around the building on the south side, 2001 would be the latest as thats when they widened rt80 thru there. Same on the northside where that siding was that hugged the highway by restaurant depot.
  by airman00

At just a little past 4pm today I saw what appeared to be an express headed towards spring valley. It was a pl42 followed by 7 comets. Never seen a 7-car set in revenue service on pvl before always just six cars max. What's up?
  by srock1028

airman00 wrote:At just a little past 4pm today I saw what appeared to be an express headed towards spring valley. It was a pl42 followed by 7 comets. Never seen a 7-car set in revenue service on pvl before always just six cars max. What's up?
As of the March 2nd schedule change, trains 1612 and 1631 are programmed to run with 7 cars.

-NO BS
  by airman00

:-) The other day I saw (and heard) comet V cab car #6000 with an UN-restricted horn. No blue cover over the horn. Big difference between a muted horn and one that's not. It was nice. :)
  by mainetrain

Sitting solo behind Kuiken Bros, Emerson, 11/07/14

by airman00

Oh well now THAT is very interesting!! Wonder what it's for? There hasn't been any freight this far down the PVL in years. (Even if it is just an engine)
  by ACeInTheHole

airman00 wrote::-) The other day I saw (and heard) comet V cab car #6000 with an UN-restricted horn. No blue cover over the horn. Big difference between a muted horn and one that's not. It was nice. :)
Bit off topic, but I heard the 7010 come into Newark Penn the other day with some horn chimes restricted, and some not... All i have to say is, yikes.
  by airman00

mainetrain wrote:Sitting solo behind Kuiken Bros, Emerson, 11/07/14

Still no one knows what was going on here? Maybe kuiken brothers got a car?
  by waldwickrailfan

airman00 wrote:
mainetrain wrote:Sitting solo behind Kuiken Bros, Emerson, 11/07/14

Still no one knows what was going on here? Maybe kuiken brothers got a car?
As of Sunday morning, there was no car in Kuiken Bros. Perhaps it was a crew training trip?
  by airman00

I saw engine #4203 @ Westwood station about mid-afternoon. It was looking a little rough around the edges. Nice!! :-)

Edit: to add to this... not everything has to look shiny and new. Some rough spots add character!
  by Hawaiitiki

For at least the past year or two, there has been some sort of slow order (~20-25mph) between Wood-Ridge and the Meadowlands wye. Its a very straight portion of track that trains run on at least 60 mph West of Wood-Ridge. The area is quite low lying and for much of the length runs adjacent to an Industrial sewage creek.

Does anyone have any idea what happened here and/or if there any plans to rectify it? Has the rail bed integrity been affected by constant flooding?
  by srock1028

Hawaiitiki wrote:For at least the past year or two, there has been some sort of slow order (~20-25mph) between Wood-Ridge and the Meadowlands wye. Its a very straight portion of track that trains run on at least 60 mph West of Wood-Ridge. The area is quite low lying and for much of the length runs adjacent to an Industrial sewage creek.

Does anyone have any idea what happened here and/or if there any plans to rectify it? Has the rail bed integrity been affected by constant flooding?
The only slow order in that area is 30MPH from Berry Ave. to Anderson Ave. What you may be experiencing is slow signals waiting to merge onto the Bergen County Line. Which train does this happen on?