• D&H Traffic to/from New England (past & present)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

Hello Folks,

Having just moved to S. Central PA I see Norfolk Southern trains between Harrisburg and Hagerstown regularly. I've noticed (and talked about elsewhere on this forum) consistent Maine traffic that literally passed by my back door when I lived in Maine 6 months ago. This included mostly lumber from NBM Railways, and CN in Atlantic Canada, paper off Maine mills on PAR in Plate F boxes, some stuff coming in Pan Am owned and leased boxcars (MEC, GMRC, etc) as well as some clay slurry (not sure if it comes from Maine, New England or elsewhere but I assume it does). The two trains I mostly see this traffic on are Norfolk Southern's 11R and 12R, which are Linwood, NC to Binghamton, NY trains. Mr. newplylong cleared up that PAR had built blocks for Linwood in Deerfield as recent as a few years ago. What I am curious about is how New England traffic may grow with Norfolk Southerns (rumored but pretty well known) purchase of the D&H lines directly to Pan Am.

Also, I noticed that years prior, the D&H was assigned trackage rights into Enola yard at Harrisburg and down into Potomac Yard (Now defunct?) after the formation of Conrail. I was curious if someone wiser than I who remembers these trains during the Guilford era, mostly 1983 - 1986, may recall what types of commodities ran on the POPY/PYPO (Rigby to Potomac Yard) trains.