• Everything OK on CSX in Rochester?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

I just had a friend text me an EB train went through East Rochester and it was vibrating everything badly. The train was shaking the building he's in. Then another train heading east came to a very abrupt stop. It's now started to move again.

Charles
  by charlie6017

After I saw your post, I went to this website on "Broadcastify" to listen to the live feed.

I have been listening for about 15 mins and not hearing anything out of the ordinary. This is a
nice feed to listen to. Not sure who streams this, but I sure like it! :-D

Charlie
  by lvrr325

I live about... 100-150 yards from an active rail line. Sometimes they go by and the harmonics from the engine's exhaust make the windows rattle. Sometimes you can hear them loud from over a mile away. Other times they come in and you hardly hear them at all. I think what your friend noticed is normal -
  by nydepot

Except for the abrupt stop of the train behind it. He said it squealed to a stop. That's really why I asked. Not the vibrating train.
  by lvrr325

They've done that out here too.
  by ctclark1

As far as the second train, perhaps just following closely (what's the term, chasing yellows?) and had to wait for the block to clear? Also, "squealing" is not an abnormal sound to hear when trains are coming to a complete stop, especially when they get to those last few feet... When I lived in Bergen I was right at the Rt19 crossing and by extension only a couple hundred feet from the Auto signal there, stopping trains where not uncommon and more often than not accompanied by squealing brakes.
  by lakeshoredave

Thanks for posting the link to that audio site. To quote Stuart Scott from ESPN, it is cooler than the other side of the pillow.
  by umtrr-author

Based on my observations from 18 years of living a mile from the Chicago Line (ex-NYC Water Level Route), wind direction has a lot to do with how much is heard and at what volume.

Some days, it seems like the train is coming directly up the street on which I live. Other times trains are hardly heard at all.