• Status Of Equipment at BET

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by octr202

Speaking of the ex-Beacon Park baggage car, it got some new company overnight. In addition to a grey covered hopper (not sure if it's the same one that's been there for a while now), 1056 and 1062 are now sitting with the two cars, and shoved back on the yard tracks near FX.

I believe those were the two F40 rebuilds that have sat at BET for a long time OOS - wonder if they're going away for good, or just for outside work to get them running again.
  by 8th Notch

They are slated for repair by Pan Am
  by octr202

Thanks for the info, 8th Notch. I made a mental note to look for them on the way in, but while waiting at Andover for 202, MEC 306 trundled east towards Lawrence with them. Nice when the railroad gods bring it right to you.
  by kieran

The baggage car seems to have been moved further down the track toward Assembly Square. A bunch of MBTA flats and MOW cars are there as well.

Did these tracks used to extend all the way into Assembly Square? it seems as if they would have, but they stop short now.
  by nomis

The string was just [cardinal] south of Sullivan Square stop yesterday afternoon, but I didn't notice its position on Monday. Did it move further on up to Assembly ?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

kieran wrote:The baggage car seems to have been moved further down the track toward Assembly Square. A bunch of MBTA flats and MOW cars are there as well.

Did these tracks used to extend all the way into Assembly Square? it seems as if they would have, but they stop short now.
Yes. B&M/Guilford had a humongous yard at Assembly with small dying scraps of it still active to the (early 90's?). The yard leads are still intact up to the construction fence for the southernmost large parcel. The last narrow 800x80 ft. strip of land on Assembly Sq. Drive before the Mystic Ave. intersection (i.e. directly across the Orange Line tracks from the two iconic maintenance buildings that bear striking resemblance to a certain pair of female body parts) isn't being developed because it's too narrow for any worthwhile buildings, so they'll probably stay there rotting beneath the overgrowth. Those tracks are operable to the Mystic Ave. underpass but if they just brush-cleared north of there they'd be operable all the way to the runaround switch across from the first of the 't***' buildings.
  by kieran

nomis wrote:The string was just [cardinal] south of Sullivan Square stop yesterday afternoon, but I didn't notice its position on Monday. Did it move further on up to Assembly ?
No. Still right near Sullivan. Just a bad phrasing of mine.

Just meant that it was on the tracks leading to Assembly.
  by GP40MC1118

That was called Yard 21, which up until the the 86 strike, was used to hold Monsanto
cars plus customers within the yard like Spaulding Brick, Mystic Stores & Central Warehouse.
The two tracks from FX towards Assembly Square are the 3rd & 4th Irons, with the 4th Iron
being the track next to the Orange Line.

The baggage car was bad-ordered about a week ago, then shoved out of the way where it
rests today.

D
  by CRail

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:...directly across the Orange Line tracks from the two iconic maintenance buildings that bear striking resemblance to a certain pair of female body parts...
Outdated reference. Those buildings no longer stand.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the 010 will be calling BET home for a wee bit...she blew her turbo last week and requires big $$ for fixing
  by ACeInTheHole

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:the 010 will be calling BET home for a wee bit...she blew her turbo last week and requires big $$ for fixing
Thats always fun.
  by ted_roy

A cross posting from the RYPN.org forums:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The thread boils down to: Is this a hospital move in the making or just a gathering for the scrapper?

Ted.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ted_roy wrote:A cross posting from the RYPN.org forums:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The thread boils down to: Is this a hospital move in the making or just a gathering for the scrapper?

Ted.
Check the Berkshire Scenic Rail Museum thread on the New England Railfan sub-forum. They're taking the baggage car and fully refurbishing it.

Most of the other stuff is garbage, though item-by-item I guess it's TBD what ultimately happens to them. The RDC's were sold for scrap 25 years ago and the scrappers never picked them up. T briefly flirted with the idea of hollowing them out into crew trailers, but that never materialized. They're so heavily vandalized/arsoned and in all-around deplorable condition that they have almost no preservation value.
  by GP40MC1118

Except for the RDC's, all that other stuff with them were derelict
equipment the T moved off the Paint Track in Somerville due to
the Green Line Union Square work. I know there been efforts to
get them donated to various groups, but nothing seems to be
happening.

D
  by deathtopumpkins

The baggage car is gone.