• Which one? Conductor or "Intermodal Service Worker"

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Freddy

Casmir14 wrote:New Member here!! I was just offered the same position from CSX as an Intermodal Service Worker. Can anyone tell me 'exactly' what to expect on a day to day basis?
CSX Intermodal is an entirely different entity from CSX Transportation. Just like CMX was at one time.
  by alltelracing212

Hello, I currently work in CSX intermodal in Philly and actually just got accepted to be a conductor for CSX . doing the ISW seems to be your best bet. Even being on the extra board, once you mark up, you will be worked trust me. The pay is slightly lower than a CDR, but with the OT you'll make up for it. Also you will have more of a life as an ISW compared to a CDR. Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.
  by MichaelB86

Go be a Conductor. Where I work the Trainmen Extra Board pays $100K a year. I'd say it's a bit better than $19/hour...

I also live 2 1/2 hours away from my terminal. I just watch the boards and leave when I'm 2nd out or something. It's hard at first, but you'll adapt. That's what people do.
  by Marnos

supernova1972 wrote:It can be hard and it's something you wont understand until you are marked up and working it, you never know how long you will be gone until that trip. Period. What you should be asking is a girl you just started dating worth a great career? And the answer to that is hell no. If she's your wife she gets input, if not, don't even worry about it.
Kind of sounds like my life as an oil well cementer. Once called in, you never know how long you will be gone for. Could be 12 hours, could be 8 days, just depends on what is going on and how things play out. Most guys quit because their wives can't stand the uncertainty of the schedule. You just have to be able to roll with it and accept the fact that the company essentially owns you while on rotation.
  by The RR Authority

Stick with the ISW. Conductor is more money now but the job of a conductor won't exist in the future and that is on all railroads. One person on a train will be here shortly.