• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Cosmo

I know,... let's scrap this THREAD! IT has produced nothing positive in over a year, and as Otto pointed out, NOBODY on here is in ANY actual position to effect the restoration of or provide any official information on TFY/FYG.
  by BandA

Haven't seen it since Edaville, but it is a handsome and impressive looking train.
  by Mr rt

" ... Can we return to a serious discussion of the Flying Yankee? ..." nah !
"... Though I don't know what discussion there can be, since there has been (to the best of my knowledge) no appreciable progress to report in some time ..."
"... I know,... let's scrap this THREAD! ..."

Yea, lets scrap the thread, we keep going around in circles ... why ?
I see no useful purpose in talking about it anymore.

As a member of four museums, we have our own neglected project cars, but progress is being made on others.
  by CannaScrews

Mr rt wrote: As a member of four museums, we have our own neglected project cars, but progress is being made on others.
Can you clarify your last statement somewhat?

Has the four museums neglected their project cars and work is progressing on other cars within the 4 museums?
Has the four museums neglected their project cars and work is progressing on other cars without the 4 museums?
Has the some of the four museums neglected their project cars and work is progressing on other cars within the 4 museums?
Has the some of the four museums neglected their project cars and work is progressing on other cars without the 4 museums?
Or all 4 museums have been neglected, but other museums are forging ahead?

(there are a few other Boolean permutations, but in the interest of brevity, let's go with the above....)
  by Cosmo

CannaScrews wrote:
Mr rt wrote: As a member of four museums, we have our own neglected project cars, but progress is being made on others.

Has the four museums neglected their project cars and work is progressing on other cars within the 4 museums?
Has the four museums neglected their project cars and work is progressing on other cars without the 4 museums?
Has the some of the four museums neglected their project cars and work is progressing on other cars within the 4 museums?
Has the some of the four museums neglected their project cars and work is progressing on other cars without the 4 museums?

(there are a few other Boolean permutations, but in the interest of brevity, let's go with the above....)
I read the man perfectly. He's a member and/or volunteer at four different museums. In all of that, there's potentially over a hundred pieces of equipment, of which some are "project cars." Out of those, there are some that get "neglected" as they await work, while others DO get work. That's how it IS at almost, if not all of the museums that I volunteer at and/or visit as often as I can. That's just what happens....
....no reason to go all Boolean on the bruthah, man. ;)
  by NRGeep

Cosmo wrote:
CannaScrews wrote:

I read the man perfectly. He's a member and/or volunteer at four different museums. In all of that, there's potentially over a hundred pieces of equipment, of which some are "project cars." Out of those, there are some that get "neglected" as they await work, while others DO get work. That's how it IS at almost, if not all of the museums that I volunteer at and/or visit as often as I can. That's just what happens....
....no reason to go all Boolean on the bruthah, man. ;)
True, though I think it's a valid question to ask if the FY Restoration Group and the NH DOT are presently in over their proverbail heads? And kudos to the excellent work they have done to this point, but this baby looks to be mothballed (barring any large infusion of $$$) for a looong time. Just my "2 cents" (if opinion is still permitted here)?
  by Cosmo

NRGeep wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
True, though I think it's a valid question to ask if the FY Restoration Group and the NH DOT are presently in over their proverbail heads? And kudos to the excellent work they have done to this point, but this baby looks to be mothballed (barring any large infusion of $$$) for a looong time. Just my "2 cents" (if opinion is still permitted here)?
Fair enough question there.
You know, man,... I think I finally figgured out what's bugging me about this whole thread all along is that there's so little defending or even explaining what's going on up there from almost any source, let alone any qualified individuals involved in the project. I do sure wish we could hear more from someone up there.
My guess is as good as yours, Geep. Mothballed awaiting more $$$. :(
  by p42thedowneaster

Don't forget, there were serious set backs incurred early on in the project that were out of the control of the FY Group. These include the loss of the Crawford Notch route, followed by the passing of founder, Bob Morrell, and the untimely passing of his son and successor, Stoney Morrell. Completing the FY now would still be a great tribute to these great visionaries.
  by drvmusic

NRGeep wrote:If it's going to be trapped in mothballs ad infinitum it seems it could be wise to donate it to Conway Scenic as a static display protected in a shed for now. Down the road, (with proper funding of course) have it running on ROW it historically is connected to. Pipe dream? Probably, yet seems more realistic than waiting for a magic railroad fairy to bring it up to spec and having it running on Amtrak routes as a special gala train... :(
Static display somewhere, like the 501, is preferable to the fate it suffers now :(

How much effort and expense that would take would probably be a deterrent though.
  by NHV 669

drvmusic wrote:
NRGeep wrote:If it's going to be trapped in mothballs ad infinitum it seems it could be wise to donate it to Conway Scenic as a static display protected in a shed for now. Down the road, (with proper funding of course) have it running on ROW it historically is connected to. Pipe dream? Probably, yet seems more realistic than waiting for a magic railroad fairy to bring it up to spec and having it running on Amtrak routes as a special gala train... :(
Static display somewhere, like the 501, is preferable to the fate it suffers now :(

How much effort and expense that would take would probably be a deterrent though.
They can always put it back where it was 20 years ago
  by Mr rt

" ... I think I finally figgured out what's bugging me about this whole thread all along is that there's so little defending or even explaining what's going on up there from almost any source, let alone any qualified individuals involved in the project. I do sure wish we could hear more from someone up there ..."

Two possible reasons:
1. Those still involved in the project don'y visit this site.
2. If they do visit this site they are tired of explaining why nothing (appears to be) is going on.

BTW, at one of my "four" museums I'll be operating a NYC LoV Subway car this Sunday. It has just had a major spruce up done to her & we're having a roll out to commemorate 110 years since the IRT subway opened and 50 years since the LoVs were in regular service. There are four more of these cars, privately owned, in the NYC system that come out for far trips a few times a year. BERA & Seashore (2 of the 4) also have the last examples of the HiV Subay car that was the first to operate in 1904. Both are inside but need restoration work.
The 3rd sent a couple of "Covered Wagons" to Spence earlier this year.
The 4th just got some much need equipment in their shop ... Ding Ding.
  by FLRailFan1

Mr rt wrote:" ... I think I finally figgured out what's bugging me about this whole thread all along is that there's so little defending or even explaining what's going on up there from almost any source, let alone any qualified individuals involved in the project. I do sure wish we could hear more from someone up there ..."

Two possible reasons:
1. Those still involved in the project don'y visit this site.
2. If they do visit this site they are tired of explaining why nothing (appears to be) is going on.

BTW, at one of my "four" museums I'll be operating a NYC LoV Subway car this Sunday. It has just had a major spruce up done to her & we're having a roll out to commemorate 110 years since the IRT subway opened and 50 years since the LoVs were in regular service. There are four more of these cars, privately owned, in the NYC system that come out for far trips a few times a year. BERA & Seashore (2 of the 4) also have the last examples of the HiV Subay car that was the first to operate in 1904. Both are inside but need restoration work.
The 3rd sent a couple of "Covered Wagons" to Spence earlier this year.
The 4th just got some much need equipment in their shop ... Ding Ding.
All railroad museums do have cars that need restoration. The Florida Gulf Coast has a few circus cars that they want to restore but money is the problem. If we had $$$, we would be happy...I guess all railroad museums would love more $$$$.
  by p42thedowneaster

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/trac ... otive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder if these folks could help make the Flying Yankee "fly" again? This is prbably not the 100mph powerplant they're hoping for, but...
  by b&m 1566

Would a caterpillar engine be suitable for the Yankee?
  by Cosmo

b&m 1566 wrote:Would a caterpillar engine be suitable for the Yankee?
IIRC, FYG was looking at just that as an alternative to rebuilding the Winton (after the latter was deemed "impractical.")