• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by gravelyfan

17 cars including 2 gons
3:50 @ South Amboy
  by RailsEast

A shot of the train through Eatontown, as we all reflect on this horrific day, 13 years ago. Let us never forget........

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3968140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
  by CNJSouDivFan

Chris-

Amen to your sentiment regarding today.

Question, could they fit a third gon at Brick Recycling? Don't two gons fill up real quick? Just wondering.
  by RailsEast

Hi Sean, great to hear from you. The Brick Recycling facility has a capacity of (in my opinion) 6 cars; the short track where the gons are loaded can hold two cars (three if they foul the switch), and the long track (up alongside the south side of the building, closest to Rt.34) should accommodate 4 cars. IF there was ever enough business to necessitate 4, 5 or 6 cars, they would have to employ a plant shifter to move cars around (again, in my opinion). It is fantastic to see the volume of outbound loads from BR this year; I sort of expected a car or two every few months, but they have been a very regular shipper on the Southern. It seems that once or twice a month lately the crew runs with two locos, and 12+ cars......"not too shabby" as Adam Sandler might say.......... :)
Chris
  by ChrisU

RailsEast wrote:A shot of the train through Eatontown, as we all reflect on this horrific day, 13 years ago. Let us never forget........

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3968140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
Awesome pic and great words! I've contemplated that shot for a while, will have to try it soon.
  by southern sec. kid

I stopped at Brick Recycling about a year ago to scrap some Aluminum and I had asked one of the fellows just exactly what their plans were. At the time, he said Conrail still had trackwork to finish but they planned on weekly scrap loads along with one or two neighboring businesses who would use the siding occasionally.
  by OCtrainguy

Any additional business on the ol' Southern is great news.

I was going through some videos on my computer and came across this one. This is from June 2012 of the SA31 on the NJCL in South Amboy with CSX 4423 and five cars.

http://youtu.be/xd7c_1tFieQ

Enjoy.
  by bigblue5277

R&DB wrote:
Great shot Jason! Pretty long hike up the tracks to that location. Good work.
Oops, I somehow missed your post. Thanks for the compliment R&DB! The walk up the tracks was just a 1/4 mile or so. The wait however was longer.
RailsEast wrote:A shot of the train through Eatontown, as we all reflect on this horrific day, 13 years ago. Let us never forget........ http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3968140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
A great location for capturing the whole train. Nice work! Missed your pics of late. Guess I've gotten accustomed to you spoiling us.
  by R&DB

SA31 permission to open CHURCH @ 3:31
Lined and locked normal 3:49pm
  by NJT4149

Clear BANK 4:30 PM
  by NJT4149

By MP 49 on the Southern with NS 5271 on the point.
  by GSC

CNJSouDivFan wrote:Chris-
Question, could they fit a third gon at Brick Recycling? Don't two gons fill up real quick? Just wondering.
The very first drop of empties to Brick was three gons. One on the track closest to the bridge, two on the other track.
  by NJT4149

WPSA31-25 clear the Southern Secondary at BANK 4:26 PM
  by gravelyfan

NJT4149 wrote:WPSA31-25 clear the Southern Secondary at BANK 4:26 PM
For those keeping score, the train had 5 cars out of South Amboy today.

Last week (9/18) therre were 12. (Didn't see that reported in last week's sightings).
  by gravelyfan

Th 10/2 3:40 pm NS 5271 + 9 coming out onto Track 2 at South Amboy.