Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Teutobergerwald

What is the status of these three units, and their history? Did the LIRR buy them new? Thanks.
  by nyandw

Teutobergerwald wrote:What is the status of these three units, and their history? Did the LIRR buy them new? Thanks.
LIRR #399 Morris Park transfer table

General Electric 25T
Numbers Built Serial Heritage Class
397 3/1956 32628 Natl. Lead Co. of NJ GS-1
398 5/1958 33030 New GS-1
399 8/1958 33375 New GS-1
(GS= GE Switcher, 1=150HP)

LI 397 has a single chime Leslie #RS44 horn on the cab roof and bell mounted on top of the hood. 398 & 399 have air whistles mounted on the cab and bells on the chassis. 399 was modified to have Automatic Air Brakes (brake stand from an M1). 397 also has automatic air but it is unknown if it was LIRR who added it. All modified to have steps on the engineer side to access the engine doors.
  by MADDOG

nyandw wrote:
Teutobergerwald wrote:What is the status of these three units, and their history? Did the LIRR buy them new? Thanks.
LIRR #399 Morris Park transfer table

General Electric 25T
Numbers Built Serial Heritage Class
397 3/1956 32628 Natl. Lead Co. of NJ GS-1
398 5/1958 33030 New GS-1
399 8/1958 33375 New GS-1
(GS= GE Switcher, 1=150HP)

LI 397 has a single chime Leslie #RS44 horn on the cab roof and bell mounted on top of the hood. 398 & 399 have air whistles mounted on the cab and bells on the chassis. 399 was modified to have Automatic Air Brakes (brake stand from an M1). 397 also has automatic air but it is unknown if it was LIRR who added it. All modified to have steps on the engineer side to access the engine doors.
#397 & #398 are at the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
Just recently, I went up on the cab of #398-yellow unit "Dashing Dottie", and removed what appears to be a 3 chime steam whistle. I hooked it up to our air compressor and it sounded real nice. It is now in storage.
We will be working on these units in the coming months, so anything that differs equipment-wise from this post will be noted.
MADDOG
  by 4400Washboard

As for their status:

397: OBRM
398: OBRM
399: RMLI

When were they retired?
  by MADDOG

AS OF 9/13/14-OBRM
"Dinky" #398-Dashing Dottie (yellow paint scheme as delivered)
all body work has been completed. Engine/drive gear/generator-all rebuilt. Electronics being restored-long term project utilizing components from #397.
Our crew is currently rebuilding this unit to operational standards. Luckily, the drive train has had a thorough rebuilding by the LIRR before all work was stopped.
You can see photos of our work on our facebook pages.
Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
MADDOG
  by 452 Card

OOKAAYY..................
  by LilcoGuy

I believe one of those 25tonners came from the LILCO Island Park Generating Station. Island Park was the only plant on Long Island to get coal by rail. there's a picture of leased Reading RS3's hauling coal hoppers down to the plant in "Diesels of the Sunrise Trail". All coal operations ended in the late 1960s.
In one of the 'Harbor' books, vol 2 I think, has a picture of the Island Park Unit 2 generator on a GE depressed flat just off the LIC floats.

Mike
  by LilcoGuy

Steve,
There is a Power Station in Far Rockaway. I believe it was off of Bay 24th Street. Single unit right on the waterway (Motts Basin) between Queens and Nassau County. Got its coal from barges. Again it was converted to burn oil and natural gas in the late 1960s.. It has been slated to be torn down.
Mike
  by nyandw

Thanks Mike, What LILCO facility is that used for on the map above in Far Rockaway just west of Seneca Ave.?
  by LilcoGuy

Steve,

I'd have to take a trip down there and see what if anything is left. If I had to guess though, I'd say a pole yard.

Mike