• blue comet step

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by deadhead

Well nomis you were correct and I Thank You. I e-mailed CONDUCTOR@ and they responded within a couple of hours. I think when they saw the picture I sent them they saw that this was the real deal. There is no mistaking that blue comet color and the patina along with the history now. Here's the response.

Jerry,

Yes, we'd like to talk with you!

I will forward this to Tony and we'll be in touch soon.

Thanks,

Curt Hudson
Director, Special Train Operations.

Well it's just a matter of waiting now. This is possible the only step known from the blue comet left today. And if everything goes well it will be back home.
Will keep you and NJT4247 posted!
Thanks again Guys.
  by deadhead

Well 2 weeks have pasted and no communication with the museum or Tony Macrie. Dont know what else to do or say. But we tried! I thought the museums would of loved to have this peice for its past history. Guess I was wrong. :(

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.
  by R&DB

Deadhead,
Have you tried contacting the Tri-State Railway Historical Society. I believe they own the Temple and it is only stored at CMSL. website: Tristaterail.org
  by deadhead

No, I only contacted who was talked about on this site. Thank you for passing this info. along. I will reach out once again.
THANK YOU R&DB....Will post if anything happens.

I am just amazed at how many different ways to go with the use of Railroad.Net
This site has educated me and pointed me in many dirrections that I didnt know were out there.
  by deadhead

Well, It's been over a month sense I E-mailed Tri-state and have not received any responses from the Tri-State Railway Historical Society. :(
I guess my journey has come to an end in trying to find a proper home for this Blue Comet step.
Thankyou to all that have lead me in differant directions with finding a home for this BC Step. It will remain with me for many years to come. Maybe my kids when they reach my age can sell it for some cash.

We Tried!
deadhead
  by Ken W2KB

deadhead wrote:Well, It's been over a month sense I E-mailed Tri-state and have not received any responses from the Tri-State Railway Historical Society. :(
I guess my journey has come to an end in trying to find a proper home for this Blue Comet step.
Thankyou to all that have lead me in differant directions with finding a home for this BC Step. It will remain with me for many years to come. Maybe my kids when they reach my age can sell it for some cash.

We Tried!
deadhead
Should you wish to donate it to the United Railroad Historical Society of NJ, we would welcome it. We have a Blue Comet observation car http://urhs.org/blog/urhs-equipment-roster/#cnj1178 at our Boonton Yard restoration facility, and the car is expected to be refurbished commencing in the not too distant future. This coming Sunday is the annual Transportation Festival which is the only day each year the railyard is open to the public. See: http://urhs.org/ for details. Since my email address is on the Executive Board page of the public URHS site, can't hurt to put it here. :wink: It's [email protected]
  by deadhead

Meghan wrote:The problem is that without a provenance it is just another stepbox. Stepboxes are fungible. A passenger carrying railroad will have a lot of them. if one breaks or disappears you get another one from the storekeeper. If there were a sworn statement from a trainman who we could establish served on the Blue Comet that he took it home with him (stole it?) or that it was removed as a known Blue Comet car was being dismantled, you might have something. Bottom Line? You have a neat old step box. Enjoy it.

Meghan :-)
This is how the step entered my life. It came from the Temple coach the day it pulled into Bayhead yard to be taken out of service and turned into makeshift office and storage. At that time the step was just another step. but as time passes and the blue comet coaches became more on the history end.
This step sat in my dads house for 50 years (give or take some). I never knew anything about the step till one day I asked my dad and he told me the story about how he got the step. Back then no one had realy any interst in these coaches. It was just a step to my dad. If I was trying to sell the step....yea it might be a story that someone would make up to profit from it. I'm trying to reunite the step with where it belongs. I also find it very covinceing that the step is painted that same orginal Packard blue and wear and tear on the step. To be honest...I think the step is in mint cond. being stored for all these years indoors. I wish I could post pictures but i'm not that high tech.
As for enjoying it...If we nevered used it for the last 50 years its time to do something with it.....
Thats why i'm looking to reunite it with the Temple. But as you can see that looks like that wont happen. So next best thing will be another coach thats being restored. I know one museum has a coach in blue comet colors but its not a real blue comet.

The funny thing about this is my dad still just thinks of it as another step.....He is now 83 years young and there are still so many things that I still dont know about his railroad life.
  by deadhead

Ken W2KB wrote:
deadhead wrote:Well, It's been over a month sense I E-mailed Tri-state and have not received any responses from the Tri-State Railway Historical Society. :(

We Tried!
deadhead
Should you wish to donate it to the United Railroad Historical Society of NJ, we would welcome it. We have a Blue Comet observation car http://urhs.org/blog/urhs-equipment-roster/#cnj1178 at our Boonton Yard restoration facility, and the car is expected to be refurbished commencing in the not too distant future. This coming Sunday is the annual Transportation Festival which is the only day each year the railyard is open to the public. See: http://urhs.org/ for details. Since my email address is on the Executive Board page of the public URHS site, can't hurt to put it here. :wink: It's [email protected]

I would love to donate it. Only thing is I was reading your site and it states that the coach will be restored either as the “Monmouth II” or as the “DeVico” when funds become available. If it is restored as the DeVico and painted as a blue comet its a home run. Otherwise as the Monmouth II it seems to lose something because the step is in blue comet color. dont get me wrong, Im just trying to the very best that I can in reuniting this step to its home. Its like the missing peice to a puzzel. And I dought there's another one left outthere.
Please PM me with your phone # so we can talk. I will e-mail you a picture to this address [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------