• Switching the two grain elevators on the LA&L

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

We've discussed Barilla before. Now I'd like to hear about the two elevators on the LA&L, Avon & Lakeville.

Lakeville: It seems cars are pushed all the way to the end and with the whole thing in the this section appearing to be uphill, when they are done loading a car, they loosen the brake a bit and it rolls downhill maybe about as far as the car all the way on the left. There appears to be no trackmobile.
Lakeville.jpg
Avon: This area seems level and maybe whoever's working the yard that day just heads up and pushes/pulls the next car in the line under the loading pipe. At some point a train takes the filled cars to Rochester. No idea on this one. Long line of cars waiting. Again, no trackmobile.
Avon.jpg
Thanks.
Charled
  by BR&P

Charles, I can confirm that the grain mill on the Livonia side works - or at least used to - as you suggest, empties shoved to the uphill side and rolled down as loading progresses. Much the same way that many coal mines used to do it. I don't remember whether they have a cable winch or not.

The one at Avon I can't help with, I think I was there one time and I really don't remember how that one worked.
  by blabey

Both grain elevators are active LAL customers. The elevator on the former Livonia line south of Conesus Lake Jct. is operated by PACMA (a Perdue Farms affiliate). The elevator north of Avon is owned by Howlett Farms, Inc. The LAL originates several hundred carloads of grain and soybeans each year.
  by sd80mac

blabey wrote:Both grain elevators are active LAL customers. The elevator on the former Livonia line south of Conesus Lake Jct. is operated by PACMA (a Perdue Farms affiliate). The elevator north of Avon is owned by Howlett Farms, Inc. The LAL originates several hundred carloads of grain and soybeans each year.

The tracks at PACMA seems to be empty this year. Even the loop road for the truck to be loaded is empty as well.. I have been driving past that place once a week. With the corn harvest in august and sept, that place is empty. Not like in past where I had seen long line of trucks at this time of the year.

I was wondering what is going on with that place.