• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by The ViRoCo

We can't forget the 4th of July weekend, where the weather was horrible with the effects of Hurricane Arthur. That certainly brought down ridership.
  by BenH

Clean Cab wrote:Two factors may have hurt ridership this year, the higher fare and the length of the Friday night trip. I think it would be a big improvement if the Friday night train was not a continuation of train #021 that makes a lot of stops before it even gets onto Mass Coastal territory.
I agree. Seems like the Friday numbers were down and the Saturday numbers up vs. 2013.

From what I heard during the spring there were real plans in place to run the Friday evening train as a dedicated express train. The Friday express was to leave Boston at 5:50 p.m. and arrive Hyannis at 8:07 p.m. (with the usual CapeFlyer stops enroute). I wouldm't be surprised to see this schedule next year.

I still have to wonder why more people aren't riding this train, after 2 years of operation. Is the price a to high? Is it the lack of any other on-Cape station stops, besides Hyannis? Is it the overall running time?

Its great that the train runs and people are taking it, but in the big picture it probably carries far less than 1% of all Boston Metro region -to/from-Cape passenger summer traffic at the moment. I hope the CCRTA did some on-board surveys to see who exactly is riding this train, so they can learn for next year.
Last edited by BenH on Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by Clean Cab

One factor that really hurts the Flyer is the slow speed from BB to Hyannis. It takes one hour to go 23 miles, which is nothing short of absurd. As has been mentioned previously there is opposition to raising the track speed above 30 MPH by residents who live near the tracks as well as some towns fearing faster speeds will make the 40 grade crossings dangerous. The Amtrak Cape Codder trains ran at 40 MPH and back in NHRR days the speed was as high as 50 MPH. Clearly fewer stops faster track speeds would make the Flyer more appealing, but will it happen?
  by highgreen215

Good - but I would have liked to have seen a few more people in the video - perhaps happy passengers and bikes getting on and off at Buzzards Bay. And the trestle at the Wareham Narrows is a perfect place for a nice sequence.
  by MetroBostonRailways

I've always been curious about this. Between Flyer seasons, where are the cafe and bike cars stored? Are they at BET or South Station yard
  by deathtopumpkins

Aren't they leaving equipment in Hyannis?
  by sery2831

The Cape Flyer equipment is stored at Readville year around. The equipment that was being stored in Hyannis was for future use for the Cape Flyer. I believe that equipment has been moved out of there, or most of it.
  by atlantis

Clean Cab wrote:One factor that really hurts the Flyer is the slow speed from BB to Hyannis. It takes one hour to go 23 miles, which is nothing short of absurd. As has been mentioned previously there is opposition to raising the track speed above 30 MPH by residents who live near the tracks as well as some towns fearing faster speeds will make the 40 grade crossings dangerous. The Amtrak Cape Codder trains ran at 40 MPH and back in NHRR days the speed was as high as 50 MPH. Clearly fewer stops faster track speeds would make the Flyer more appealing, but will it happen?
All the more reason that it's important, IMO, to keep reminding these people who live by the rail line that the railroad was there LOONG before they were. :wink:
  by highgreen215

Maybe the CCRTA should try to convince them that the faster the train goes by, the briefer the interruption to their idyllic lives. :wink:
  by highgreen215

Until the speeds are increased significantly, the numbers will probably remain below 18,000 passengers for the normal season. Weather will also be a factor.
  by Bramdeisroberts

There also needs to be more/better connections. The problem with the cape is that it's still essentially a car-dependent place if you need to get anywhere, and the bulk of the tourist market is built off of people who own their own places.

Unfortunately, it seems like the main reason why cape traffic is always so awful (because anyone and everyone who owns a place goes to it every freakin weekend) is also the same reason why it'll be hard for the train to make a real dent (everyone who's braving the traffic and driving down every weekend is doing so because they actually need their car once on the cape) outside of people doing hotel trips and visiting friends with cape houses, which is unfortunately a tiny sliver of the traffic.

A big park and ride somewhere along the line with spaces for people to leave cars to pick up for the weekend might make sense, but again, the demographics of your average cape house owner doesn't always allow for stuff like having a dedicated car for your vacation property (and the ones who do have the $$$ for stuff like that all fly cape air anyways). The islands also could be a huge source of ridership, but again, so long as the train only stops at Hyannis---> Nantucket when the big car-free tourist draw will always be Falmouth--->The Vineyard, that's going to be a tall order as well. Absent those things (or a 180-degree turnaround of the current state of Hyannis), it's always going to be a struggle for the Flyer to tap into any fraction of the core cape travel market. In the meantime, for the Cape Flyer to reverse its fortunes, there's going to need to be a real sea change in how the CCRTA supports flyer operations with increased bus service and whatnot to help grow a stronger car-free tourist base on the cape.

Sadly, and I say this from experience, we're all ignoring the Cape Flyer's red, white, and blue-striped competitor to the north. The fact is just that, as it stands now, the Downeaster is a much better prospect for someone who's looking to do a car-free weekend trip. It costs the same, and takes the same amount of time, but instead of dumping you in Hyannis, the Downeaster takes you to Old Orchard Beach and Portland, where everything is right there and you get a whole lot more bang for your buck in terms of a potential car-free weekend. And if you have more time and really want to do the rail thing, you can take the Maine Eastern to Bath/Damariscotta/Rockland and have yourself a real adventure. There just aren't those options with the Flyer, and if you're trying to sell the idea of a car-free, rail-centered trip to the cape, it's hard to do so without acknowledging the 600lb stainless-steel gorilla in the room.

It's not that I don't think the flyer can ever succeed, but it'll need to be A: faster, B: cheaper, and C: offer potential riders much more/better connections than it does now if it's ever going to succeed long-term.
  by millerm277

Bramdeisroberts wrote:It's not that I don't think the flyer can ever succeed, but it'll need to be A: faster, B: cheaper, and C: offer potential riders much more/better connections than it does now if it's ever going to succeed long-term.
I agree with the rest of your post, but I'd argue it's succeeding now.

It's covered it's operating costs (which is presumably a key factor) and is slated to continue. Everyone might love to see growth, extensions, connections, etc. But I don't think the demand is likely to wither away, this season was not a great beach season, a lot of key weekends were rained out, the heat never really showed up, etc. It probably won't grow significantly without changes, but I'd expect it will continue as-is otherwise. Which isn't a failure. It's more than there was 2 years ago.