Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by PRRGuy

On this friday for a few hours Metra will be using tracks 8 and 9 in the NICTD area of the station because Metra will be closing two of their tracks downstairs to show off 2 new cars. I'll be working there in the morning so feel free to stop by.

by MetraRy

sweet! i was thinking of heading down there this friday. Are the cars open to the public or just the media?

by PRRGuy

I don't really know all that much other then they're going to be on track 3 or 4 and metra will be running out of the nicts terminal on tracks 8 and 9 for about 3 hours. I believe the time is from 11-2. I'm guessing that they won't be open to the public, but I also plan to try and get a few pictures.

On another note, word has it that metra plans to run the new cars into every nictd platform track on sunday to test clearance etc. No idea on the time though.

by dinwitty

take pics and post them up here!

by MetraRy

metrary seconds dinwitty's post.

by MikeF

Moderator Mike sez: Let's take this to the Metra forum. The thread (with pictures) is here:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13619

by JLJ061

Wow, reminds me of one time NICTD was doing trackwork on its terminal, so all trains used Metra's terminal.

by PRRGuy

Tomorrow, Sunday March 5th Metra Electric Trains will be operating out of the NICTD portion of the depot. Tracks 8, 9 and 10 will be used by metra from 8am to 5pm. Metra wire crews will be working in the " pit" where metra's platforms are.

Now, I think this may be a good time to try and get a shot of the old and new cars for metra next to the NICTD cars.