• Ex Metro-North F-unit in Utica

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NRGeep

Noticed it recently on a siding near the Utica station while on the LSL. What's the story with this?
  by DutchRailnut

one of four units that went to Adirondack Scenic, other 3 were scrapped I believe.
  by jurtz

It is out of service, used only as a part donor.
  by Kuyahoora Valley

Listed for sale under RYPN Classifieds...
  by traingeek8223

The story has been told here before but I will tell it again:

The Adirondack Scenic purchased five locomotives from Metro North in 2003(?) comprising of four FL9s and the F10. The F10 was in excellent mechanical condition, having only been retired due to a grade crossing accident. It was the main reason for the purchase. Of the FL9s, three of them were very tired and only ever intended to be parts donors (one still had it's original steam generator and another never had ditch lights so you know they had been OOS for a while). The fourth had been rebuilt more recently and had an excellent prime mover. Any thoughts of rehabbing it for service went out the window with NYS's standing restriction on locomotives with more then four axles on the Remsen to Lake Placid line (stemming back to 1980 with an unfair blaming of the Adirondack Railway's RSC2 on worsening the track conditions). When the three rough FL9s were final cannibalized and scrapped a few years back (with outrage from the foamers), the fourth was held, basically as a storage shed for the prime mover(it was thought that the 1508 would need a transplant sooner or later). Now with a new people in the maintenance department, the 1508 has been properly repaired (without transplant) and with the FL9 having life in (it but not on this railroad) it has been decided to offer it for sale.
  by lvrr325

Did they tell Metro-North they're selling it?
  by DutchRailnut

The F10 did not have grade crossing accident, it had a roll away accident in Harmon and had rear coupler damage.
essentially entire coupler and spring pack needed to be replaced and re-welded.
  by traingeek8223

The F10 did not have grade crossing accident, it had a roll away accident in Harmon and had rear coupler damage.
essentially entire coupler and spring pack needed to be replaced and re-welded.
Thanks for the clarification. I was going on what I remember someone telling me many years ago. I know the accident resulted in a fair amount of cosmetic damage to the nose, which was "temporarily" repaired with plastic body filler.
Why would they need to tell Metro North? The engine belongs to the Adirondack Scenic. They can do with it as they please.
  by lvrr325

traingeek8223 wrote:
Why would they need to tell Metro North? The engine belongs to the Adirondack Scenic. They can do with it as they please.
I'm sure they think they do. I would imagine if you ask them they'll tell you they own the 8223, too.
  by traingeek8223

I'm sure they think they do. I would imagine if you ask them they'll tell you they own the 8223, too.
lvrr325.

The railroad does not claim and never has claimed to own the 8223. They know exactly who the owner is. It sounds like you have a personal beef with the Adirondack Scenic, which has nothing to do with this conversation.

For the record, the ownership breakdown for the locomotive fleet is as follows:

Adirondack Scenic owned locomotives:

RS18us 1835 &1845
F7A 1508
FP10 1502
FL9 2007
S1 9411

Privately owned and leased locomotives:

SW1 705
GP9 6076
RS3 8223
  by lvrr325

No, I just know the inside details on a whole lot of things that have gone on over there.
  by traingeek8223

No, I just know the inside details on a whole lot of things that have gone on over there.
As do I. Just remember, there are always two sides to a story. That is all I will say on the subject.