• NYO&W milepost at Clinton, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Seems like I remember seeing a photograph a while back of a milepost that was replanted in the ground at Clinton, NY in remembrance of the Utica branch of the Ontario & Western RR. Anyone know where this is located? Is it near the freight depot? I would like to photograph it. I would also like to know where to find O & W milemarker NY 308 at Pennellville, NY which is supposedly still in its original in-ground location.

Thanks-81
  by lvrr325

IIRC there's one along the remaining bit of O&W track in Utica.
  by O-6-O

LV is correct there is one in the Utica area. In New Hartford (Capron as it was known historicly) MP 272 is in a yard of a private residence
that may or may not be on the NYS&W ROW. It is (I'm told) one of two O&W milemakers still in it's original location. Very easily seen from the corner of Chenago Rd and Lomond Pl ( which is Capron Rd on some maps). If I could c&p a Bing birdseye view I'd link it but
it's easy to find yourself.
  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Thanks for the info!! I'll have to check it out next time I go to Utica. Found nothing in Clinton, but I swear that I remember reading a book, perhaps in Rails Along The Oriskany, that had a relatively current photograph of a milemarker in the village.
  by Cactus Jack

I can say that I took a photo of it in the late 1970's.
It was MP 268, near to but not in the origial location.
As I recall it was just off from the park in Clinton in its' own little park near the old freighthouse and an apartment complex.
There was also an historical marker there.

I can't answer the question about MP 308, never happened to see it but was never looking for it either.
Last edited by Cactus Jack on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by NaDspr

In addition to MP 272 located along the still active O&W trackage (now NYS&W New Hartford Industrial Track) just north of the Lomond Place crossing (near U-Haul), there is a mile post marker 268 located in the Village of Clinton. It is on the site of the former Clinton passenger station at the corner of Kirkland Ave (formerly Water St.) and Chenango Ave, next to Clinton Agway. Affixed to the concrete marker is a plaque describing some of the history of the railroad thru Clinton.

The O&W Clinton freight station is still standing behind the Clinton House Apartment complex on Kirkland Ave. It once stood at the Kirkland Ave crossing where the apartment complex is currently located.

Link to O&W freight house in Clinton -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97630304@ ... 4762443893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

NaDspr wrote:In addition to MP 272 located along the still active O&W trackage (now NYS&W New Hartford Industrial Track) just north of the Lomond Place crossing (near U-Haul), there is a mile post marker 268 located in the Village of Clinton. It is on the site of the former Clinton passenger station at the corner of Kirkland Ave (formerly Water St.) and Chenango Ave, next to Clinton Agway. Affixed to the concrete marker is a plaque describing some of the history of the railroad thru Clinton.

The O&W Clinton freight station is still standing behind the Clinton House Apartment complex on Kirkland Ave. It once stood at the Kirkland Ave crossing where the apartment complex is currently located.

Link to O&W freight house in Clinton -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97630304@ ... 4762443893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have gotta be kidding me! I just took that photo of the freight station at Clinton the other day while looking for NY 268. Can't believe I missed it, I was so close. Drove all around looking for it. I had no clue that it was located where the old passenger station stood. Then again, I had no clue where that was located either. Thanks for the info! Will have to get the MP next time I'm in Clinton.

Photo of Clinton Passenger depot from my P.C. collection

Feel free to check out all of my other pics on my flickr photostream. They are mostly of RR's in Oneida, Madison, Onondaga, and Oswego Counties. Additional information, comments, and corrections are always appreciated. Thanks-81

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97630304@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;