• GWR and LNER -- right away?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:There was a big wreck many years ago when a train stopped before taking its signal, and the train behind thought it was his signal, and plowed into him. I have an idea that it was on the Long Island Railroad.
Cab signals are a big help, as are the other technologies going into effect now.
Bellstbarn has supplied me with the information that I was trying to think of, via a private message. Here's a photo of the wreck. The trains are third rail MUs and lacked cab signals according to an article at http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrwr ... wrecks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, (ironic name.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kew_Gardens_train_crash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Komachi

I do believe that the FOUR-FOUR-SEVEN-TWO (or Six-Zero-One-Zero-Three... depending if you use her LNER or BR number) had her controls on the right-hand side when she rolled out of Doncaster on 1923 and didn't have them switched over to the left until a rebuild in the late 20s or early 30s. I will have to re-check my reference books about her construction, etc.

As for the running on the left track and having the driver on the right side... I'm not sure. But, I can ask my boffins about it and see what information they can provide.
  by johnthefireman

Komachi wrote:I do believe that the FOUR-FOUR-SEVEN-TWO... had her controls on the right-hand side when she rolled out of Doncaster on 1923 and didn't have them switched over to the left until a rebuild in the late 20s or early 30s...
That could quite possibly be the case, as I believe she began construction as a GNR A1 class, and became an LNER A3 class after Grouping in 1923.
  by philipmartin

Here we have pictures of a fireman on the left side of the cab and on the right side. I'm confused.
Sorry about that John.
  by johnthefireman

In the first photo I'm on the fireman's side, in the second one I'm on the driver's side! These are South African locos so the driver's position is always on the right. I'm qualified to drive steam locomotives as well as fire them, so you'll find me on both sides on different duty rosters, but my fireman's qualification is for the main line while I'm only qualified to drive in depots and yards. I left South Africa before I had a chance to sit the main line driver's exam, and now I just go back a few times a year to keep my existing qualifications valid (and to have as much fun as I can with steam locomotives).
  by philipmartin

I'm no longer confused. I've seen the light. It's great the way you can work railroads in several different countries, John.