• Silverliner IV and V Assignments

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by acelaphillies

Hi folks,

Many of you have seen and responded with very positive feedback to my Silverliner V Ride of the NEC from Trenton to Philadelphia video on Youtube, and I greatly appreciate this.

Because of the overwhelming positive feedback on this video, I have been trying to do a second video from Philadelphia to Newark, DE. I have tried 4 times, but every time I have showed up to the station to try there has been a Silverliner IV set waiting, not a Silerliner V.

I would like to do it from Warminster Line train 4213. This is the only train that leaves Warminster and continues all the way to Newark. This train is an express, which would be better for the video. The train is a weekday train, so unless I am off I usually can't ride it. Weekend trains on the Warminster line do not continue all the way to Newark. I believe it is a 4 car set.

I always assumed that all of SEPTA's trains were in a big pool, except for the push pull sets. Is this the case? Does anyone know if train 4213 does run with SLV's? If it does I will keep trying, but if it only runs with 4's I will stop trying. Thanks for any info!
  by Limited-Clear

Give up no that train, it does run with Vs but not very often, it is mostly IVs although early last week one day it had 5 Vs
  by Head-end View

I've had good luck a couple of times on weekdays with 9229/9238 between 30th and Wilmington. But it's all still random chance.
  by eb684

I've ridden 4213 about 30 times in the past year and have never seen it with V's, only IV's. An hour earlier though, 207 is probably about 60/40 V's to IV's.
  by acelaphillies

Thanks everyone for the input!
eb684 wrote:I've ridden 4213 about 30 times in the past year and have never seen it with V's, only IV's. An hour earlier though, 207 is probably about 60/40 V's to IV's.
If this is the case I will probably look for another train. Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately it is all guesswork, so there is not really a great way to do this.
  by acelaphillies

Does anybody know, has it been the same tory with 4213 recently--all IV's?

Assuming that it has, does anyone know of any Newark trains that routinely run with V's? eb684 mentioned 207, which is a possibility with the early sunrise these days. The other trains that I'm looking at are 7241, 9243, and 9257. Thanks or the info!

As a side note, does anyone know why 4213 is kept as a set of IVs? Does it have anything to do with the number of seats?
  by ExCon90

Based on the number, 7241 originates in the sidings at CHE and deadheads as far as Temple. The four north-end cars turn at Wilmington to 252 for Norristown, while the two south-end cars continue to Newark and turn to 2760 for CHE. I would say it doesn't look good for seeing V's on a set that gets broken up every day.
  by acelaphillies

ExCon90 wrote:Based on the number, 7241 originates in the sidings at CHE and deadheads as far as Temple. The four north-end cars turn at Wilmington to 252 for Norristown, while the two south-end cars continue to Newark and turn to 2760 for CHE. I would say it doesn't look good for seeing V's on a set that gets broken up every day.
That is very good information, thank you! So it looks like that train is out.