Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by Jason W

There is a picture on the Bridge Line Historical Society site of a Ten Wheeler stopped at Oneonta with a passenger train (http://www.bridge-line.org/blhs/images/ ... tn/523.jpg). What really suprised me was how late in the game this picture was, 1948! I wasn't aware that any passenger service south of Albany survived the Depression on the D&H. How many trains were there each day between Albany and Binghamton in the late forties? Just the one round trip or more? Does anyone know of a timetable or even just the time that trains would call at Oneonta in this period? Thanks for any replies.
  by Noel Weaver

Jason W wrote:There is a picture on the Bridge Line Historical Society site of a Ten Wheeler stopped at Oneonta with a passenger train (http://www.bridge-line.org/blhs/images/ ... tn/523.jpg). What really suprised me was how late in the game this picture was, 1948! I wasn't aware that any passenger service south of Albany survived the Depression on the D&H. How many trains were there each day between Albany and Binghamton in the late forties? Just the one round trip or more? Does anyone know of a timetable or even just the time that trains would call at Oneonta in this period? Thanks for any replies.
There was one train each way daily except Sunday on this line until I
think January, 1963. The morning train Left Binghamton at 7:20 AM,
Oneonta at 9:10 AM and arrived Albany at 11:30 AM. The afternoon train
left Albany at 4:15 PM, Oneonta at 6:42 PM and arrived Binghamton at
8:25 PM.
The last Sunday train came off in late 1957 or very early 1958.
The line had a second round trip which came off between the timetable of
September, 1949 and April 1950.
Send me a private message with your name and E-Mail address and I will
send you a page from one of the timetables showing this operation.
Like many other trains of the period, at the end it was down to one coach
along with head end cars, the mail contract kept it going as long as it did.
Noel Weaver
  by Jason W

Noel,
Thanks for the quick reply!

There were TWO round trips between Albany and Binghamton in 1947? That is great for my purposes. You don't need to trouble yourself with scanning that page or anything like that on my account, if you could just post here what times those four trains called at Oneonta (as well as their numbers if you have them available) that would be just great by me! If you don't post in a couple of days I'll send you a personal message. Anyone have any idea what type of cars would of been on these train in 1947?