• Platform Problems

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by 25Hz

SCB2525 wrote:Eddington has them.
I think it's more crumble than platform at this point at eddington.

But the main point is why are stations allowed to get this bad? Funding shmunding. Its a safety hazard that should not be allowed to go unchecked for in some cases 5-8 years!!! What if i had fallen and been struck by a train? Is that what kind of screwup it'll take to get these problems addressed? I mean, no wonder rider numbers are so low, no one wants to be at a station they A. cant stand to look at or B. have to plan their potty breaks around.

Sorry for the rant, but it's been 30 years, lets go all ready, fix this thing up & stop letting stuff fall into such dire disrepair. Are we TRYING to emulate PC?
  by Push&Pull Master

25Hz wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:Eddington has them.
I think it's more crumble than platform at this point at eddington.

But the main point is why are stations allowed to get this bad? Funding shmunding. Its a safety hazard that should not be allowed to go unchecked for in some cases 5-8 years!!! What if i had fallen and been struck by a train? Is that what kind of screwup it'll take to get these problems addressed? I mean, no wonder rider numbers are so low, no one wants to be at a station they A. cant stand to look at or B. have to plan their potty breaks around.

Sorry for the rant, but it's been 30 years, lets go all ready, fix this thing up & stop letting stuff fall into such dire disrepair. Are we TRYING to emulate PC?
Well the reason that Eddington hasn't been rebuilt is because of this:
A PennDOT plan to rebuild the
Street Road interchange with Interstate Route I-95 will impact the station site. In addition, making the station ADA compliant will require costly track and signal adjustments on the Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor. These major cost considerations have impacted the planning for this station.
http://www.septa.org/reports/pdf/asp15-proposed.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also :
As the ridership potential is limited and alternative service is available in the region served by the station, consideration is being given to closing the facility. First an effort will be undertaken to build ridership through marketing to improve awareness of the station.
http://www.septa.org/reports/pdf/asp12.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Therefore, Eddington has strong possibility of closing which is why SEPTA won't upgrade it.
  by 25Hz

I like eddington, you dont gotta go down 95 to cornwells heights if you're picking someone up for a lunch or dinner along street rd.

Just some new non-crumbling concrete platforms would be great till they decide what to do.

If the freight track is such a big hootiehoo just move the switch to the other side of the overpass?
  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:If the freight track is such a big hootiehoo just move the switch to the other side of the overpass?
SEPTA doesn't own the line. Amtrak does. Move the station, and trigger ADA compliance.
  by 25Hz

Clearfield wrote:
25Hz wrote:If the freight track is such a big hootiehoo just move the switch to the other side of the overpass?
SEPTA doesn't own the line. Amtrak does. Move the station, and trigger ADA compliance.
K, but i'm talking bout moving a switch, not station......? Is there something operationally preventing this or just track ownership?
  by bikentransit

CLEARFIELD: what is ADA compliance??? SEPTA has rebuilt many stations since the implementation of "ADA" which do not have high fancy platforms. Please explain the discrepancy.
  by Clearfield

bikentransit wrote:CLEARFIELD: what is ADA compliance??? SEPTA has rebuilt many stations since the implementation of "ADA" which do not have high fancy platforms. Please explain the discrepancy.
Ya have to read and (hopefully) interpret the ADA law. There is a threshold like a line in the sand. Once you cross it, ADA kicks in.
  by SCB2525

So what if ADA kicks in? They went so far as to put a high-level at Link Belt with its similar numbers but didn't add any parking. The parking is the most damning aspect.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Folks I believe we have 25hz to thank because Tuesday I saw septa crews working on the platform at Bristol on Tuesday. Who knows how many lives he saved by notifying septa of this problem. Nobody's lives were deleted !!