Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Train538

9542/9643 was the lead pair of 1538 today. As to be expected, 9643 looks like any other M8 right now. Something tells me they'll never be converted to bar cars, but only time will tell. Any word on when the single cars are supposed to arrive on MN property? (or somehow become married pairs which would be the smarter choice)
  by jackintosh11

Train538 wrote:9542/9643 was the lead pair of 1538 today. As to be expected, 9643 looks like any other M8 right now. Something tells me they'll never be converted to bar cars, but only time will tell. Any word on when the single cars are supposed to arrive on MN property? (or somehow become married pairs which would be the smarter choice)
It's always good to have some singles. It gives more operational flexibility.
  by Backshophoss

If the single cars show up,there're trailers only,not much else.
  by DutchRailnut

and not control trailers either, just dummy cars with only lights and HVAC, no propulsion, no dynamic brake, no cab, no toilet.
sounds like bargain right for almost same price as a car in a pair ?? but hey at least we have something to laugh about for next 30 years.
  by 4400Washboard

On which branch should I expect to see the most M8s on. I'd like to avoid them as much as possible until the m2/4/6s come out and I'd like to get a last trip on the old cars
  by runningwithscalpels

Good luck, you're more likely to see M8's than the old stuff these days. The only branch they run on is the New Canaan. Waterbury and Danbury are diesel.

In my experience #6513 on weekend mornings tends to be old stuff.
  by Travelsonic

Silly question, but why is it that, for the M8 bar car pairs planned, they are keeping up the numbering convention of one car being X5XX and the other X6XX in a pair (like how, in the M2 days, in a bar car pair, one car was in the 8500s and the other was in the 8600s - and it seems now it's being done with one car in the pair being 9500s, the other in the 9600s)?
  by deandremouse

4 Cars at Harmon for software testing I believe

How far away from completion is the order? I was part of a test set that had 9612-13 paired with 9610-11
  by gregorygrice

deandremouse wrote:
4 Cars at Harmon for software testing I believe

How far away from completion is the order? I was part of a test set that had 9612-13 paired with 9610-11
The BL and the 4 car set left last night on 5794
  by DutchRailnut

Travelsonic wrote:Silly question, but why is it that, for the M8 bar car pairs planned, they are keeping up the numbering convention of one car being X5XX and the other X6XX in a pair (like how, in the M2 days, in a bar car pair, one car was in the 8500s and the other was in the 8600s - and it seems now it's being done with one car in the pair being 9500s, the other in the 9600s)?
I answered that question a few pages back with all numbering.
  by Fan Railer

I presume this isn't a common problem, but I don't ride the NHV often enough to know:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8ZxUfyEVc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Apparently, there was a problem with the OHE system on this M8 pair, resulting in the traction motors and the HVAC being cut out until we made the power mode change after Pelham. Enjoy the quiet ride =)"
  by DutchRailnut

only 16 more cars in M-8 pair order, plus 25 singles and order is complete.
http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/newM8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by runningwithscalpels

My conductor on Amtrak 80 Saturday posted on FB that he saw 9460 sitting in a CSX yard outside Baltimore while he was working the train (I was oblivious and didn't notice it myself, but he was kind enough to tell me where to look to see the new Viewliner 2's as we left PHL.)

But anyway, the point is there has been a sighting of a single - and 9460 is the first single number mentioned in Jaap's numbering scheme post several pages back.
  by FRN9

I'm sure this question has been asked before--so an apology to start.

I'm wondering what the differences are between the M-8 and the LIRR system. I understand the shoe can flip to make power possible, but are there differences in signaling or does the m-8 support both systems as well?

Thanks
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

FRN9 wrote:I'm sure this question has been asked before--so an apology to start.

I'm wondering what the differences are between the M-8 and the LIRR system. I understand the shoe can flip to make power possible, but are there differences in signaling or does the m-8 support both systems as well?

Thanks
Yes. LIRR cab signals have 2 more aspects than cab signals everywhere else on the east coast. Legacy from the PRR days. It's not that difficult to swap out and install a signal unit fully compatible with LIRR's, but if there's no run-thru service or compelling reason for it they won't bother splitting the difference. Too expensive and complicated for too little benefit.

The shoes do have good reason for going common across both roads: the M8's will be running on LIRR 3rd rail when Penn service starts, and 3rd rail shoes break off and wear out often enough that moving to common flip shoes for every EMU on both roads does pay for itself on economy of scale for stocking replacement parts.