Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

by kptom

Found this old Penn Central car on an abandoned siding in Honesdale, PA last week:

And in the top, right-hand corner of the car, printed with newer paint was:

So I have two questions...
Can I assume that this was a former New York Central car and that was the car number?

After PC filed for bankruptcy, did all the rolling stock have something similar printed on them?
  by shlustig

Yes, that was a former NYC car, as indicated.

All equipment that was purchased through a commercial equipment trust or leased from the actual purchaser either had an equipment trust plate affixed to the car or was stencilled as this one was.
  by FLRailFan1

I wonder why it was abandoned. Is it still there?
  by lvrr325

It wasn't unheard of for PC and Conrail to sell surplus boxcars to industries before abandoning a siding or a line, I've seen several examples of that in NY although most have since been scrapped.

This was a modern car built in the mid-60s and has Conrail paint, so it's likely there's some other reason for it's current use.
  by BR&P

Judging by the 2-digit Geep in the background, this may be on a shortline. Surplus boxcars make great storage, and I'd say the majority of small roads have one or more they have bought from a Class I to store parts, supplies and whatever. Ditto for some rail-served industries. Kodak at one time had quite a collection of old wooden boxcars and 2-bay hoppers for in-plant use and for storage. Wish I had paid more attention to what they had!
  by lvrr325

This is on the old Lackawaxen & Stourbridge; the geep is ex-MEC 567/ST 22 now AFRX 22, was intended to be used when the line was revived but is now stored as M&E was contracted to operate the line. Has been stored serviceable there for several years.

The boxcar I'm sure predates that, it's shown as Stourbridge Railroad 326 on RRpicturearchives.

I see it appears to be missing a stirrup at one end so likely bad ordered and used for storage or otherwise captive.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2586360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there also are, or were, two of these cars, the other being 358, also ex-Conrail and showing signs of two Conrail paint jobs. 358 appears to be movable but missing some of the door hardware.