• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Jack Powell

3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote: RMNE/NAUG acquired the unit shortly after and placed it into service on the NAUG in 2003. It is the "newest" locomotive on the roster and is a historical piece in the respect that she is the very last one of her kind to be built.
Yes - er, no - er, maybe. RMNE and NAUG are separate corporate entities, each with their own assets. I am not aware which of them actually acquired and now owns the locomotive in question (if either).

In any event, as far as I know 2203 is not intended to be accessioned into the RMNE collection, but was obtained as an expendable item of plant to be consumed through use, much as with the service fleet of ex-Canadian National coaches. Just as it is expected that in due course some of the ex-New Haven passenger cars may be available for occasional demonstration use, RMNE policy has been to limit use of locomotives in its core historical collection (like NH 529) by having 2203 available for everyday service. I am not aware of a published list of which items constitute the RMNE permanent collection and which are considered consumable, but the Collections Management Chairman or others may have that information available.

The fact that something may be "the very last one or her kind to be built" does not necessarily make it "historical." What significant role in history does a given item represent? For example, RMNE's ex-New Haven 2059 is not only the last-constructed FL9, but is the last F unit of any kind to be built. As such, along with the 1939-built FT demonstrator preserved at St. Louis, it serves to bracket an iconic 20th century industrial design that existed in familiar consciousness nationwide over a span of many years. As well, the mere fact that something is the first or last of its kind to be built may be a matter of interest, but in and of itself lacks context within a museum's collections scope and policy. Were this not the case, you might see RMNE scrambling today to obtain things like "the last MBTA F40" or whatever. Limitations on collection scope are driven by a variety of factors, including financial resources. The reality is that the biggest roof a museum can afford to built for the protection of its collection in perpetuity is still only so big.

Of course, an item that lacks particular significance at a given museum may have great historical significance in a different collections context. Just as over time the RMNE has seen to it that other items outside of its scope of collection had made their way to appropriate preservation homes elsewhere, it has been mooted that when 2203's economic life is over, it could be made available to a museum focused on the Conrail era. I think we can all rest assured, however, that for the foreseeable future 2203 will continue to carry out its current non-historical role at RMNE, and also see use in non-passenger NAUG service as and when the need arises.
FLRailFan1 wrote: Will 2203 be painted into Naugy's colors? By the way, what is their colors?
As has been emphasized by the output of the Thomaston Shop over the last few years that has been featured in this forum, RMNE policy is to preserve items in a manner that presents their appearance at a given historical era (which could be reflected, more or less, in the way 2203 appears at present). As such, NAUG, the RMNE's operating subsidiary, has never had need for its own "colors" as this would be the antithesis of preservation. In the future, NAUG's freight operations could potentially require its own dedicated locomotives, which might be another matter altogether.
  by MEC407

Jack Powell wrote:...the last F unit of any kind to be built.
By "F unit" I assume you're referring to the original streamlined F unit style? Obviously EMD built many hundreds of F units after they stopped using that body style — F40PH, F40C, F59 series, etc. Yes, I'm nitpicking :wink: but it can never hurt to strive for accuracy, especially since it's beneficial to folks who read these forums who are still learning about diesel locomotive history.
  by CannaScrews

MEC407 wrote:
Jack Powell wrote:...the last F unit of any kind to be built.
By "F unit" I assume you're referring to the original streamlined F unit style? Obviously EMD built many hundreds of F units after they stopped using that body style — F40PH, F40C, F59 series, etc. Yes, I'm nitpicking :wink: but it can never hurt to strive for accuracy, especially since it's beneficial to folks who read these forums who are still learning about diesel locomotive history.
You are right. MNCR2033/NH2059is the last of the original Fifteen-hundred horsepower unit series with single 567-type prime movers and are in the "covered wagon" configuration.

I'm just wondering that the F40's etc types are even referred to as F-units generically. They have a different prime mover - 645 I believe to begin with and have in common with the original F's as a Model-T has to a Taurus - make that a Chevy DeLux to a Citation.

As to the paint scheme of the Naugatuck RR, perhaps a clue can be taken from ex-Guilford Transportation Industries #66 (formerly B&M GP-9 1732). It received a modified McGuiness B&M logo NR in 1998 and a "Bluebird" paint scheme. Granted that was a one-off, and I'm not sure of the exact corporate ownership (RMNE vs NAUG), but you can speculate that the NAUG paint scheme is a modified replication of historical paint schemes for the New England area. I'm sure if Jackson Pollack was alive, he may have been offered 1732 as a canvas for one of his artworks - Hey, maybe Christo would take the challenge - beats Central Park & the Grand Canyon.

1732 will make a reappearance on the scene in the relatively near future. Some sheetmetal work was done early last winter and the prime mover transplant preparation is ongoing. The setback to the project is the work done on NH 2019 and the wheel work (and other odds&ends) about to commence on NH 529.
  by CannaScrews

The beagle has landed.

Norfolk Southern delivered FL9 New Haven 2019 at Spencer NC yesterday in time for the Streamliners at Spencer next week. Accompanying the 2019 in the Norfolk Southern special move was PAR FP9 #1 and ERIE E8A 822.

A youtube video of the move in Virginia can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p0N_oMJuGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The official RMNE crew truck has been dispatched and will arrive in Spencer with the 3rd rail pickup shoes so a demonstration of electric/diesel changeover can be made at the NC Transportation Museum once the 3rd rail has been completed and energized.

Check out the NC Transportation Museum website for the when 2019 will be operating.
  by boatsmate

Is there a complete or almost complete list of equipment that the NAUGY and RMNE have in there collection? either on here or on a website? I am interested I seeing what they have rescued over the years.

Thanks

Bill
  by CannaScrews

If you haven't found it already, check out

http://www.rmne.org/about/roster/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The list is missing the Rutland 260 wood combine, MNCR baggage/work car W-10 (I think), and MNCR tower car (wire train flat car with an elevator platform since they were relatively new acquisitions.

Also, off the top of my head, the roster is missing a couple of tank cars (Cheney from South Manchester and a UTLX tank used to store paraffin), and an ancient side dump car SD-100 (or is it SD-99) rescued from the Hartford Electric Co Meadows Plant 40 years or so ago. The side dump does work, albeit in one direction.

Otherwise, I think it is pretty complete.

Oh yes, the CNE 2-8-0 that was sold to Cuba in 1915 is going to be added on the roster. Once the embargo is ended, it will be brought back to home rails. The RMNE will have to supply some 1955-1958 Chevy parts to keep Havana's taxi fleet running until Metrocab gets an export license.
  by daylight4449

CannaScrews wrote: Oh yes, the CNE 2-8-0 that was sold to Cuba in 1915 is going to be added on the roster. Once the embargo is ended, it will be brought back to home rails. The RMNE will have to supply some 1955-1958 Chevy parts to keep Havana's taxi fleet running until Metrocab gets an export license.
I'm just going to go a few hundred miles south of topic, and ask what are you talking about?
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

daylight4449 wrote:
CannaScrews wrote: Oh yes, the CNE 2-8-0 that was sold to Cuba in 1915 is going to be added on the roster. Once the embargo is ended, it will be brought back to home rails. The RMNE will have to supply some 1955-1958 Chevy parts to keep Havana's taxi fleet running until Metrocab gets an export license.
I'm just going to go a few hundred miles south of topic, and ask what are you talking about?

Dylan, what you have here is a little humor at work. See this link for details on the locomotive in question- http://www.steamlocomotive.com/consolidation/?page=cnew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The link explains the locomotive and the rest of the comment can be explained by a little history research regarding the relationship between the U.S. and Cuba.
  by CannaScrews

1290 miles south is more like it.

John Springer would be impressed, once his feelings are on the mend.
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

Well played, sir!
  by H.F.Malone

Steam power is returning to the NAUG this weekend-- the Gramling's Lehigh Valley Coal #126 arrives at the end of the week and will be operating in passenger service the next three weekends. Check the website for schedule http://www.rmne.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

While it's not a big 4-8-4, 126 is a gutsy engine and makes some serious stack talk on the Naugy's hills and curves. Ride the front vestibule of the first coach and get a better view of the action than even a cab ride gives you!

And, New Haven 2019 is back from Spencer; it may be on display and open for tours at Thomaston station during the final weekend of LVC 126's visit.
  by boatsmate

Is this a different Steam Engine from the one you where bringing in??
  by EDM5970

To answer Boatsmate, Flagg Coal 75 was on the Naugy in 2011 and 2012. 75 is a Vulcan 0-4-0 saddletank, while Lehigh Valley Coal 126 is a simiar sized Vulcan 0-6-0T, which was at RMNE in 2013 and is there again this year. As Mr. Malone has indicated, small or not, either engine puts on a good show, worthy of a much larger engine. And 2019 is well worth seeing; I wouldn't be surprised if you can still smell the fresh paint.