• How SEPTA intentionally killed Newtown rail service

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by dreese_us

I believe the RDC's were owned by the City of Philadelphia and Septa wanted them off the property. Septa used the excuse that the diesel operation on the Newtown Branch was the last of its kind in the US. Truth is, they were still running RDC's in New York and Maryland at the time. With the money Septa received from the federal government to rebuild the line, they should have never been allowed to abandon service.
  by Clearfield

dreese_us wrote:they should have never been allowed to abandon service.
Today, simply shutting down a line that way is far from that simple.
  by 25Hz

Clearfield wrote:
dreese_us wrote:they should have never been allowed to abandon service.
Today, simply shutting down a line that way is far from that simple.
Yea, today you'd get protests, a blizzard of lawsuits, and all kinds of community outrage.

This unused asset needs to be put back on the map, and not as a recreational trail.
  by SCB2525

Just as long as Bucks holds out as anti-trail there is a glimmer of hope that the Bethayres to County Line segment could be relocated in conjunction to a reactivation. If any ROW is paved within Bucks, you truly have no chance.

I really hope that the trail crossing of the West Trenton branch turns into a total clusterf*** short of any fatalities.
  by 25Hz

SCB2525 wrote:Just as long as Bucks holds out as anti-trail there is a glimmer of hope that the Bethayres to County Line segment could be relocated in conjunction to a reactivation. If any ROW is paved within Bucks, you truly have no chance.

I really hope that the trail crossing of the West Trenton branch turns into a total clusterf*** short of any fatalities.
There isnt even anything there aside from industrial buildings & their parking lots. Why anyone wants a trail through that is beyond me.
  by AlexC

Yet ANOTHER Newtown thread locked.