• U34CH Dash-7?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by Allen Hazen

(Sorry for the potentially misleading title…)

The U25B had its central equipment air blower in the radiator compartment. In the redesign that led to the "definitive" U-series carbody (introduced with the "Phase 2" U28B and U28C in 1966), this was changed: the equipment blower was now between the cab and the engine-generator set, with the central air intake high on the hood side behind the cab (the square opening). This arrangement was continued on six-axle Dash-7 units, but on 4-axle Dash-7 units the equipment blower went… back into the radiator compartment (in order to make room for other things -- toilet compartment and low-voltage control electricals --behind the cab). The Davis brothers have recently posted some original GE publications about (what has since come to be known as) the Dash-7 line when it was new, including cut-away drawings of the rear end of the long hood on 4-axle and 6-axle units:
http://railroadlocomotives.blogspot.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was, however, one exception to the rule that the air blower was behind the cab in later U-series units: the U34CH. (I assume because the HEP generator was located in the space where the equipment blower should have gone?). This can be spotted from the outside: unlike, say, the U36C, the U34CH didn't have the square intake on the side of the hood for the central air system.

So, question for anyone who knows the interior of a U34CH: was its central equipment blower installation similar to that on a B23-7?

(As for other possible interpretations of the title… No, the U34CH wasn't any more like a Dash-7 than other early-1970s U-series. Recall that when another U34CH was wanted in the late 1970s, GE thought it was easier to buy back a U30C from the C&NW and have it rebuilt to a U34CH (at, I think, GE's Cleveland shop, not Erie) than distract the Erie people by making them build a U-series unit in the middle of Dash-7 production!)
  by Allen Hazen

Partial answer:
The U34CH operator's manual is available on-line, and the "location of apparatus" diagram on page 55
at
http://www.hobokenterminal.com/u34ch/u34ch_55.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shows the equipment blower in a position like that on a U23-7. So, as far as it goes, this is consistent with the installation being the same… but the diagram is, well, sort of… diagrammatic.
  by Allen Hazen

Correcting myself-- the ex-C&NW U30C was rebuilt into a U34CH at GE's PITTSBURGH shop, not CLEVELAND. (It was given a new serial number, too.) … There is some U34CH history at the hobokenterminal.com site: GE's Cleveland shop did wreck repairs on one of the earlier U34CH.
  by Typewriters

For whatever it is worth, I'm pretty sure the U50C had the same location for its equipment blowers- that is to say, in the radiator compartment and driven off the back of the radiator fan drive gearbox.

-Will Davis
  by Allen Hazen

Thanks, Will!
George Elwood's "Fallen Flags" site has, as ne of its collection o operator's manuals, a manual for the U50C, and the general arrangements diagram at the end shows the location of the equipment blowers: they are, indeed, "behind" the radiator fans (i.e. on the side of the radiator fan further from the engine: on the U50C this means that the two equipment blowers are facing each other in the radiator compartment in the centre of the locomotive). As far as I can tell from the diagrammatic drawings, the installation (including the drive from the fan gear-box) could be the same as on the U34CH and the BXX-7.

(Somewhere near the beginning, the manual has an italicized note warning that different railroads buy locomotives with idferent equipment options, so the pictures in the manual may not match a particular railroad's units. This COULD be taken as indicating the GE was hoping to sell the U50C to customers other than the UP, but I suspect it was just standard wording in all GE locomotive operator's manuals… The general arrangements diagram shows a unit with the ex-GTEL truck used on the UP units: I remember seeing (in, I think, the "Railway Age" article when the new model was announced) some GE-supplied artwork showing a U50C with FB-3 trucks.)
  by Bright Star

The HEP alternator was located where the equipment blower would be on a 'conventional' C-C U-Series.
  by Allen Hazen

Brightstar--
Yes. See "location of equipment" diagram linked above.
Hence the obvious visual spotting difference between a U34CH and a U33C or U36C: the U34CH lacks the intake for the equipment blower located on the upper side of the long hood between the cab and the engine compartment.