• LIRR #39 steam whistle Strasburg

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BobLI

Thats how a steam whistle should sound... Great!! While we will probably never see a LIRR engine run on LI rails part of it still lives on until the rest of the locomotive is assembled.
  by Crabman1130

Does anyone know how long they will use that whistle on that engine? Might just have to take a ride there to hear it.
  by Noel Weaver

Good stuff, here is a tourist railroad as a tourist railroad should be operated. Thank you very much for sharing these with us.
Noel Weaver
  by tj48

Noel Weaver wrote:Good stuff, here is a tourist railroad as a tourist railroad should be operated. Thank you very much for sharing these with us.
Noel Weaver
That is a beautiful whistle and I agree completely that the Strasburg RR is a class act. My Dad starting taking my Mom my brother and myself when I was about 8. Today no trip to Lancaster County is complete without a ride on the Strasburg. My wife and daughters (ages 20 and 15) still love the ride. I cannot wait to see #39 take its place alongside #'s 90, 89 and 475.
  by jayrmli

Let's remember the reason that 39's whistle has been mounted on the locomotive - to draw attention to the fact that you can hear that whistle operating on 39 on a regular basis if funding is achieved. This is a grass roots effort being conducted right now and one of the major hurdles of fundraising over the years for 39 was there never was a firm commitment that the locomotive would be operated anywhere after restoration. This hurdle has been overcome with this agreement with Strasburg.

For those that will lament the fact that the locomotive will run in PA, once restored it is not an impossibility that it will not return at some time. But you can't worry about it running anywhere unless it is actually running.

If you haven't already, please go to the RMLI website at http://www.rmli.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and donate to the special fund to restore her.
  by RRJS3

The whistle was put on #475 last Friday, and it ran for a week, before the locomotive was taken out of service for its monthly inspection. Whether they keep it on longer remains to be seen, but I can say that the guys down there had a really good time with it.

On our end, we publicly announced (in Strasburg) last week that RMLI has now broken $100,000 in our share of the restoration funding. On top of the roughly $1,086,000 that the Strasburg has pledged to the project, we're now sitting at a little short of $1.2 million, leaving roughly $800,000 to satisfy the terms of the 15 year fundraising contract. With steady (albeit somewhat slow) money coming in, we're confident that this goal will indeed be reached within that timeframe.