• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by lvrr325

Never happen, a line pulled up 60 years ago is gone forever. Richfield Springs branch could be another story.
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

lvrr325 wrote:Never happen, a line pulled up 60 years ago is gone forever. Richfield Springs branch could be another story.
54 years ago and "Never" is a long time.
  by fredrick

lvrr325 wrote:Never happen, a line pulled up 60 years ago is gone forever. Richfield Springs branch could be another story.
it's a shame the line was pulled up long time ago. let's hope the Utica line does not get pulled up too.
  by NYS&W142Fan

Milkman, can you post the whole story? Some of us do not have a subscription to the Evening Sun and my subscription to the Chenango American doesn't count. :-D
  by milkman

I can't post the whole article but will post some of it.

While the tax credit would certainly help NYS&W maintain its functioning lines, NYS&W President Nathan Fenno explained it would also help the company with its 10-year obligation to maintain the Utica Main Line as part of the railroad revitalization project in Chenango County.

Efforts led by the Chenango County Industrial Development Agency (CCIDA) to restore the local line are underway. In 2011, the project received a state Department of Transportation grant for $772,722. That funding was supplemented in 2013 by a $4.7 million grant from the Federal Economic Development Administration to cover 80 percent the estimated cost of the project.

The project also calls for a $85,825 contribution from NYS&W as well as a commitment from the company to maintain the line for 10 years when the project is complete.

“The project in Chenango County is a big project with a lot of challenges in front of it. We have made the commitment for 10 years,” Fenno said, citing state and federal funding sources that have kept NYS&W optimistic that the project will move forward. “The stage it's in right now, essentially, is a detail study from outside engineers … That's really going to determine the future of the project, to have the engineers do an inch by inch inspection and come up with a project that will work.”
  by lvrr325

U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner wrote:
54 years ago and "Never" is a long time.
Not sure I understand what you're saying, but after 54 years the property has been split up or returned to previous owners and it would cost millions just to buy it back, plus the legal fight to put tracks back after that, between NIMBYs, envinronmental case concerns, and so forth. And then a few million per mile for the track. To serve one customer, they better be getting multiple unit trains in a day.

As far as I know on the other hand, the Richfield Springs corridor was sold intact to some folks who have ambitious plans for a narrow gauge line on at least some of the route.
  by lackman

its been real quiet. Any news or updates from anyone on what is happening on the Utica Branch?
Are shipments continuing to the new warehouse out by the Sears Mall?
Any more discussion on rebuilding the branch now now that spring is here?
What is motive power these days out of Utica?

Thanks.
Lackman
  by Alek9997

LackMan

To answer some of your questions...Oneida Warehouse (What you are referring to nearby the New Hartford Shopping Center) is getting a lot of boxcars. Always a lot for them in the Utica Yard when I am down there. Must be good business.

Motive power is still what is now the only active four-axle locomotive on the NYSW roster, GP40 #3040. Been the only unit to run on the Utica Branch since 2009.

Alek S
  by GlennUtica

Well, that was different ...

CSX 2782 and NYSW 3040 headed south together down Schuyler Street in West Utica at 11:04 AM.

Pulling 7 hoppers, a black tank, and 6 more hoppers.
  by ut-1

Yes, you beat me to it!!!

I noticed the CSX 2782, a GP38-2, in the Utica yard a few days ago. I believe today marked its debut on the Utica line. Together with NYS&W GP-40 3040 (the lone power on the Utica line for several years now), it powered 14 freight cars south to Sangerfield. I followed the freight to Paris; the diesels were making quite a roar as they rolled past Greens Crossing and Doolittle Road and 2782 was belching a fair amount of smoke as it made its way up the tough grade. Another railfan was ahead of me and he took some pics/video; I hope he posts them here.

The 3040 had been limited to pulling 8-10 cars up Paris Hill; the 14 car freight was the biggest I've seen in quite a long time. My office is near the S Utica Genesee St crossing & permits easy viewing every time a freight passes by.

Last year, the Utica yard became very overcrowded. Once I saw 3040 performing switching duties and it was nearly up to Union Station with a string of freight cars in tow stretching all the way back to the yard! I imagine the 2782 will help eliminate overcrowding by permitting longer trains up Paris Hill to Sangerfield.
  by Alek9997

ut-1:

That "Other Railfan" was me! What kind of car were you driving? I was in a green Subaru. I chased them from Schuyler Street in Utica to Sangerfield. I could swear I was being followed! :wink:

And you are right...WHAT a sound as they tore it up on the Paris Hill grade!

Apparently, The CSX 2782 will be the sole power on the Utica Branch for a while after the Fertilizer Rush, as 3040 needs to go to Binghamton for repairs. Whether they are going to keep the two units paired up for the Sangerfield runs until then, I am not sure. If they have more loaded trains for Sangerfield as long as the one yesterday, they are going to have to!

Attached is one of the shots from Clayville. I have better versions too, but they are too big to post here so PM me if you wish to see them.

Alek Salka
  by charlie6017

That's a nice shot, Alex! :wink:

Charlie
  by Steve F45

any of you guys got any video of trains pulling up paris hill? Any chance to get some with the 2 paired up in the next few weeks?
  by Alek9997

I got some, Steve! I sent you a PM.

Alek S