• Question For Amtrak Engineers (On the Cab Signals)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Lackawanna565

I know at certain interlockings that slow clear, medium clear and limited clear could mean something else. At Leaman interlocking on the Keystone Corridor slow approach could mean what it means. Or it could mean slow clear. But on the west side of the interlocking. The signals shows approach limited. And slow approach could mean slow approach limited. I'm curious if the engineer gets the train above 45mph after he runs he length after the cab signal goes from restricting to approach medium/approach limited. Or he keeps the train below limited speed.
  by 8th Notch

Whoa you may want to clarify that question a bit. A slow approach means a slow approach and nothing else as with any signal, it can only convey one indication.
  by ApproachMedium

That question is all over the damn map. The engineer follows the signal that is the most restrictive. If the wayside is more restrictive than the cab signal, the wayside is what they go by. if the cab signal is more restrictive, then the cab signal is what they go by. A restricting, slow approach, or slow clear will have a cab signal conformity of restricting. if the engineer passes a slow clear they must run the train clear of all interlocking and spring switches at slow speed before increasing speed regardless of what the next signal shows or the cab signal picks up to.
  by Lackawanna565

8th Notch wrote:Whoa you may want to clarify that question a bit. A slow approach means a slow approach and nothing else as with any signal, it can only convey one indication.
I've seen a video where a SEPTA train gets slow approach on the signal. The cab signal says restricting. After a few seconds the cab signal says clear. After a bit he increases his speed.
  by 8th Notch

Well since a slow approach is telling us the next signal is at stop or restricting it could be possible that the block ahead cleared up after the train passed the wayside signal displaying slow approach. That is the nice thing about cab signal territory, once your cabs pick up you can increase speed after 500 ft or one train length vs non cab territory where a slow approach (in non cab still means the same but would require the engineer to visually confirm the next signal is more favorable then stop before he can go faster then medium speed. Remember cab signals continuously display block information so even though you may pass a wayside that displays approach and your cabs drop to approach to conform, the next block can clear up and then you get a clear in the cab.
  by ThirdRail7

Lackawanna565 wrote:
8th Notch wrote:Whoa you may want to clarify that question a bit. A slow approach means a slow approach and nothing else as with any signal, it can only convey one indication.
I've seen a video where a SEPTA train gets slow approach on the signal. The cab signal says restricting. After a few seconds the cab signal says clear. After a bit he increases his speed.

You've professed to have access to a NORAC book. As ApproachMedium stated, that is the conforming cab signal for a Slow Approach signal. so there is nothing unusual. What happens to the cab signals between fixed signals or after conform doesn't change the indication of the original aspect that was displayed. Slow Approach means Slow Approach. It doesn't mean slow approach limited which is not a signal that even exists on the Keystone corridor....if it exists at all.
  by Lackawanna565

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Lackawanna565 wrote:

You've professed to have access to a NORAC book. As ApproachMedium stated, that is the conforming cab signal for a Slow Approach signal. so there is nothing unusual. What happens to the cab signals between fixed signals or after conform doesn't change the indication of the original aspect that was displayed. Slow Approach means Slow Approach. It doesn't mean slow approach limited which is not a signal that even exists on the Keystone corridor....if it exists at all.
I thought certain signals in cab signal territory could act different or have a different meaning to them. Like limited clear could act like a limited approach limited, medium clear like a medium approach medium. The signals on the west side of Leaman show approach limited. I'm just curious if the engineer gets the more favorable signal after restricting. Does he get it above 45mph or keeps below 45mph after running one train length.
  by gprimr1

Locked per OP's request.